Consumer Complaint about the DTV Coupon Program

SylviaT

DTVUSA Rookie
My card expired on me because I thought with message valid through 12/1/08 was the time to purchase the DTV and was very disappointed when I tried to buy it on 12/2/08 and was told it expired. In addition, I’m a senior on fixed income and can’t even get an extention on the cards — It was very unfair for several reasons

1) The date I received it was not the 1st of the month that would give me 3 months to purchase

2) It should have stated on the card the expiration date and it would have been very easy to understand

3) To call and not able to talk with anyone concerning the card and date received and date expired was impossible — I think the news media need to know this so people can understand if they request a discount card and how it works

Lori

DTVUSA Rookie
I thought I was being proactive last year ordering my coupons so I would be prepared for the change, and when they came, they had an August expiration date. Now, due this economy I had my hours cut back and then laid off completely, and even with the coupon, finding an extra $10 to spend was rough. When I finally did have a few extra dollars, I realized my coupons had expired(08/2008). Why would coupons expire in August when the conversion wasn’t even taking place until February, HELLO!!! I tried to reorder and was told I couldn’t have new coupons, even though I hadn’t used my coupons. Now I have spent the last severeal months getting the house mortgage back under control so I didn’t lose my house, and getting the utilities back on track. Why should I have to pay full price because I have been economically challenged this last year, and really happy I still have a house and heat for my kids and I, but unhappy I can’t buy a converter, with a $50 purchase taking away from a water bill I would pay or the phone bill per-say.
If this organization has the power to know which coupons didn’t get used, and know I didn’t use my coupons, and they saved money from all the coupons that did expire, what is it hurting to just order more cards, and reissue to us who weren’t fortunate enough to be able to use them.

Alfredo

DTVUSA Rookie
Clearly the least expensive and most effective solution to the expired coupon problem is to simply tell everyone to ignore the expiration date. That way no one has apply to be re-issued, duplicate cards will not have to be created, and millions of consumers will be able to obtain the converter boxes that are finally available.

However, it seems that no bureaucrat is RESPONSIBLE for fixing this problem. Well, I hope that turns out to be untrue - perhaps somewhere, some congressperson will realize that they could get some good media exposure by taking the lead on this issue.

EdwinD'C

DTVUSA Rookie
I have the same problem as the store which sold
the converter boxes ran out of stock and I ended
upgetting the last box. Now my other coupon has
expired as the stores were out of stock and I can
now only use one one TV the other coupon is now worthless

I too, requested the TV converter box coupons on-line. I wasn’t aware that they had an exp. date on them. With having to move and everything I finally found them and they had exp. date July of 08′. Why do they even bother putting an exp. date on those cards. People have priorities, I’m being mandated to purchase this converter box, and at a retail price of 60.00 (plus tax), I have other bills to pay. I agree with everyone IT IS NOT FAIR!!!! Now I just have two useless coupons that are not worth anything but except the reminder of the headaches that the government dwells upon us. If there is a way I can re-active them, I would love to know.

I think it was stupid to put an expiration date on the coupons. I also think it is stupid to mandate that everyone does this by February or June. Doesn’t the governments realize that people are struggling, they are being laid off, they are doing what they can to make ends meet. A lots of people find theme selves having to decide weather to pay rent or electric bills. Why should they now have to worry about weather they will be able to do something as simple as watch television!!!? I agree with the person who previously stated that they should ignore the expiration date and just let people get the darn things. Why shell out more money to print out cards when people already have them. We didn’t ask for this unnecessary expense. It’s extremely unfair for them to force this on us during this time when so many people are hurting financially. MY COUPON HAS EXPIRED. I AM DISABLED AND HAVE A HARD TIME GETTING AROUND. THIS IS SO UNFAIR.

I think it was stupid to put an expiration date on the coupons. I also think it is stupid to mandate that everyone does this by February or June. Doesn’t the governments realize that people are struggling, they are being laid off, they are doing what they can to make ends meet. A lots of people find theme selves having to decide weather to pay rent or electric bills. Why should they now have to worry about weather they will be able to do something as simple as watch television!!!? I agree with the person who previously stated that they should ignore the expiration date and just let people get the darn things. Why shell out more money to print out cards when people already have them. We didn’t ask for this unnecessary expense. It’s extremely unfair for them to force this on us during this time when so many people are hurting financially. MY COUPON HAS EXPIRED. I AM DISABLED AND HAVE A HARD TIME GETTING AROUND. THIS IS SO UNFAIR.
my coupon is not expired yet but it might be before i get a box my card is declined everywhere just seen they are extending the dates for expired cards:usa2::usa2:

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I would suggest that those with problems, questions, or complaints contact the DTV program. If you look at their website, they do provide an email address as well as a postal address. The phone numbers are automated. Let them know. I just feel like people should at least try to contact them before ripping it to shreds.

https://www.dtv2009.gov/ContactUs.aspx