Controlling a second DIRECTV receiver in the same room - DirecTV DVR

For Controlling a second DIRECTV receiver in the same room, relating to DirecTV DVRs and receivers. We are trying to set up the 2 DIRECTV receivers in the same room to operate on 2 separate remote controls.

We had it set up this way with out old Dish receivers so we could tape one show to our VCR and watch another show on the other receiver. We set it up the same way with our DIRRCTV receivers, but both remote controls operate both receivers.

The installer said he didn’t how but I looked in the DIRECTV receiver user’s guide and figured it would be an easy thing to do. I tried several times to follow to instructions on pages 16 under, “Programming the Remote to Operate Components in AV1 and AV2 Modes” and then on page 17, “Controlling a Second DIRECTV Receiver”, which says, “To program the remote to operate a second DIRECTV Receiver in the same room”. I can get as far as getting the mode on the receiver from DIRECTV to AV1 or AV2, but then the remote will no longer work the receiver. I’ve called DIRECTV support 3 times and they can’t figure out how to do it.

I’m thinking there is a bug in the firmware for these models that prevents them from being set up this way. These were just installed last Friday, with a model D10 and a D11 receivers.

Any ideas?