Converter Box and DirecTv Connection Issue

I get my local channels over the air and have recently added a converter box to my older bedroom TV. I have been getting digital broadcasts for over 2 years now on my newer setup in the family room so, I know I can get all the channels. Here is my setup and problem:

My antenna and satellite signals come into my house separate, then run separate to my downstairs TV, with no problems. These two signals are combined into a single cable to make the run upstairs and then split back out again at my bedroom TV. This setup worked fine for analog, but now I'm having issues with the new converter box.

If I plug the RF signal into my converter box and the satellite signal into my satellite, I only get a few digital over the air channels and my Directv still works. If I connect the satellite signal into the converter box, I get all the digital over the air channels, but my Directv no longer works. I've tried several different combintations but can't get them both to work simultaneously.

My theory is that the issue is with the type of splitter due to the digital channels all being on different RF frequencies.

Any thoughts?? Do I need a new splitter setup for the digital channels?

Thanks (sorry about the long post)

divxhacker

DTVUSA Member
Sounds like you have an "Upstairs, Downstairs" type of problem. You should have it set so that the connections go in a single direction. If you've actually got cable running down and up the stairs, you should try to keep it in the walls. Yeah, it's a whole lot of work, pulling that stuff through the walls, drilling where it's needed, but it IS worth it.

The signal strength would be so much stronger, and less likely to pick up stray RF signals. That way you can still watch TV while your kinfolk is using the power sander in the garage.

Piggie

Super Moderator
My theory is that the issue is with the type of splitter due to the digital channels all being on different RF frequencies.

Any thoughts?? Do I need a new splitter setup for the digital channels?

Thanks (sorry about the long post)
The new OTA digital channels on the same TV frequencies as analog was, so that is not it.

You can find special splitters and combiners like you are looking for if you use DirecTVs SD service. If you are on DirecTV HD service then you can't combine the signals as some of the channels overlap. Dish network systems I have no idea without reading up on them.

I have seen the correct splitters and combiners though for OTA and DirecTV SD available as SolidSignal.com

The best solution is to run two wires upstairs. Combiners and splitters end up having limitations.