Converter Box Coupon Application Denied?

Blue33

DTVUSA Rookie
I recently called the 1-888-DTV-2009 to order my converter box coupon and my name and address information came up correctly but it said my application was denied because I have already ordered and recieved my coupons. This is not true this is the first time I even had looked into ordering them. I moved to my address about five months ago and think maybe the previous tentants may have ordered their coupons and that is why mine is now being denied. I followed the appeals process on the website www.DTV2009.gov and have gotten no response. Is there any other phone numbers to contact an actual person or get more information on similar situations? Any suggestions on how to clear this problem up?

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
I recently called the 1-888-DTV-2009 to order my converter box coupon and my name and address information came up correctly but it said my application was denied because I have already ordered and recieved my coupons. This is not true this is the first time I even had looked into ordering them. I moved to my address about five months ago and think maybe the previous tentants may have ordered their coupons and that is why mine is now being denied. I followed the appeals process on the website www.DTV2009.gov and have gotten no response. Is there any other phone numbers to contact an actual person or get more information on similar situations? Any suggestions on how to clear this problem up?
Wow, this is a new one to me. It'll require a little bit of research, give me a day or so to respond, if you don't mind. In the mean time, if anyone else would like to comment, feel free to do so.

Irmajoan

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Sounds like your typical bureaucratic government program. Don't expect any rapid response from the DTV.gov.

(Snarky remark from a citizen who has dealt with govt types for a long time.)

Later, Irmajoan.

madmax65

DTVUSA Rookie
i am getting the same run around i just moved here it is an apt. also i am thinking the previous people order a coupon and that is what they are going by not our names. hope we get an answer soon or our coupons we order.

the only thing i could think of is that someone else who lived their before you ordered them.

Either that, or someone used your address. Neighbor? friends? weird.

one-time use address. now that's a new one to me, never saw that one comin'.

I had a problem because my address was labeled a 'business or group living facility' only because the trailer court i live on is rented out in the same fashion as apartment complexes. i wonder how many apartment complexes were falling into the same category myself, which is unfair since i don't own the complex nor do i work for it. it's going by USPS info, so obviously it makes sense if the USPS address is used twice they have no idea if someone's taking advantage of the program by faking their name to get two more free coupons. i'm thinking that latter example is why addresses can only be used one time, otherwise someone would try putting 'John Q. Public' or other fake names and try again to get two more.

Since it's automated i wouldn't expect a human response, expect a form letter saying:

Dear [name]:

We have evaluated your appeal for a Digital TV coupon request. unfortunately your application remains denied since you've already received your coupons.....

That's what all the form letters say. they just automatically pull your name from the server and there ya go.

Last edited:
HELLO???!!!They make us switch to converter boxes, cause it’s what They chose to do for better reception etc. Well, i’m sure there are tons of people that will agree, that we didn’t want to switch and basically throw away all of our antenna’s. Some people have more than one antenna, as they have more than one TV, and with only two converter box coupons–well, we can’t use the other TV’s. Or, we have to detach the two that some of us already have, and bring them from room to room, or just don’t get to use the other TV’s, or for those of us who don’t have the converter box, cause we couldn’t get them cause there wasn’t any available, or our coupon expired, or for some people for some reason or the other didn’t apply or get to apply for the coupons in the first place, then what??? When the time comes, which is not too far from now, then there’s going to be tons of people without any watching of TV. Some may not have a radio, and they like to watch TV for the News-the Weather etc. then what??? Alot of us don’t have the money for Cable or Direct TV etc., and we rely(relied) on our Antenna’s!!! Now what??? We’ve had Antenna’s for years, and now taken away from us for ??? This seems to be mostly for the people who have to have or want the most up-to-date, sopisticated electronic equipment!!! What about us, that are satisfied with what we use to have–and don’t want all those hundreds, of really unneeded channels??? Back in the good-ole-days, when some of us thought we had it bad, well at least we got to watch good shows, shows that didn’t talk about, or should I say every other word, about SEX. The shows that now we have to have Cable or something else to see them!!! Like someone else said earlier–pay to have shows on TV, that should be free. We’ve adjusted to the idea of having to switch after decades of using Antenna’s that were perfectly fine for some people + now we have the issue of the Expiration Dates on the cards. Why??? They make us switch–have no choice, and now we have to worry about not being able to watch any TV!!! Some of us might not watch TV alot, but we also at least deserve to be able to–especially with all the other Bills we have to shell out money for. Think about how some of us might not even have a VCR anymore or DVD Player–so we wouldn’t be able to watch anything with them either!!! The next thing which is probably just around the corner, will be–we won’t be able to listen to out Radio’s without it, or something else coming up that won’t allow us to use our VCR’s or DVD Players that some people may have, without having to change them over, and with what—EXPIRATION DATES again???!!!

TonyT

DTVUSA Member
HELLO???!!!They make us switch to converter boxes, cause it’s what They chose to do for better reception etc. Well, i’m sure there are tons of people that will agree, that we didn’t want to switch and basically throw away all of our antenna’s. Some people have more than one antenna, as they have more than one TV, and with only two converter box coupons–well, we can’t use the other TV’s. Or, we have to detach the two that some of us already have, and bring them from room to room, or just don’t get to use the other TV’s, or for those of us who don’t have the converter box, cause we couldn’t get them cause there wasn’t any available, or our coupon expired, or for some people for some reason or the other didn’t apply or get to apply for the coupons in the first place, then what??? When the time comes, which is not too far from now, then there’s going to be tons of people without any watching of TV. Some may not have a radio, and they like to watch TV for the News-the Weather etc. then what??? Alot of us don’t have the money for Cable or Direct TV etc., and we rely(relied) on our Antenna’s!!! Now what??? We’ve had Antenna’s for years, and now taken away from us for ??? This seems to be mostly for the people who have to have or want the most up-to-date, sopisticated electronic equipment!!! What about us, that are satisfied with what we use to have–and don’t want all those hundreds, of really unneeded channels??? Back in the good-ole-days, when some of us thought we had it bad, well at least we got to watch good shows, shows that didn’t talk about, or should I say every other word, about SEX. The shows that now we have to have Cable or something else to see them!!! Like someone else said earlier–pay to have shows on TV, that should be free. We’ve adjusted to the idea of having to switch after decades of using Antenna’s that were perfectly fine for some people + now we have the issue of the Expiration Dates on the cards. Why??? They make us switch–have no choice, and now we have to worry about not being able to watch any TV!!! Some of us might not watch TV alot, but we also at least deserve to be able to–especially with all the other Bills we have to shell out money for. Think about how some of us might not even have a VCR anymore or DVD Player–so we wouldn’t be able to watch anything with them either!!! The next thing which is probably just around the corner, will be–we won’t be able to listen to out Radio’s without it, or something else coming up that won’t allow us to use our VCR’s or DVD Players that some people may have, without having to change them over, and with what—EXPIRATION DATES again???!!!
Hi, and welcome. Could have saved a lot of time, anger, and typing if you would have looked here - http://www.dtvusaforum.com/governme...xpired-dtv-coupons-can-now-reapply-today.html

I'm not gonna bother reading this rant, but, not to sound rude, but you obviously haven't been keeping track of all the updates and updated information out there. You CAN use your old VCR with the converter box. Take a look around this forum and look at all the people that got it working. They are now letting people REAPPLY for the expired coupons.

and I don't know where you got the idea of anybody "taking" your antenna/VCR/DVD player away from you.

forcing you to buy a converter is a small price to pay. i mean they probably could make it where you need a new TV but they got a little sympathetic and at least made it where all you need is a box (sorta like 1980s cable tv, with the descrambler or using a game system, it hooks up the same, between your equipment and the antenna--like an RF Modulator or A/V selector) and you get more channels (need to find your antenna and its 'sweet spot' it can take time) and satellite-like picture quality. the only price to pay is that rain fade that plagues Satellite TV happens the same with DTV OTA reception. just have to get used to using a weather radio for the EAS warnings.