Converter Box For Cable?

U

Unregistered

What kind of converter boxes work with cable TV? I get basic cable right now but want to switch to HD since I have a new HDTV.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
What kind of converter boxes work with cable TV? I get basic cable right now but want to switch to HD since I have a new HDTV.
Have you tried hooking the TV directly to the cable and scanning for channels (after making sure the input is set to "cable" rather than "antenna" or "air")? Most cable companies still provide a number of channels (including HD channels) in unencrypted QAM. If not, or your unable to get all the channel you pay for, you will need to rent a HD STB from your provider or rent a Cable Card for a TiVo or similar aftermarket STB.

Or, you can get an antenna and watch HDTV for free.

Jim5506

DTVUSA Member
If you want to receive all of your cable Co's digital channels, you probably have to get a box from the cable co. Generic boxes will not necessarily work with your cable co and might not work at all because the cable co may need to send a signal to the receiver enabling channels.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
If you want to receive all of your cable Co's digital channels, you probably have to get a box from the cable co. Generic boxes will not necessarily work with your cable co and might not work at all because the cable co may need to send a signal to the receiver enabling channels.
Essentually, if you can't receive it with the clear QAM tuner in your TV you will need a Cable Card enabled device. All cable company STBs have been required to use a Cable Card for years so that they don't have an "unfair advantage" over third party STBs. Basically TiVo and Ceton are the only third party STB manufactures that I know about. There are other devices with clear QAM tuners like Channel Master TV but you have to have a Cable Card to view encrypted channels.