Converter Box for TV

A

AmyT

I recently canceled my cable TV service and connected my TV to an old antenna that was installed about 10 years ago. After not being able to receive any channels, I spoke to my neighbor and asked him what he thought the problem was. He was nice enough to come over and check on my TV and antenna and told me that I need a converter box.

Which brings me to my questions

1. What is a converter box?

2. Where do I connect the converter box to?

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
AmyT,

Older TV sets were designed to receive analog TV signals which are no longer being transmitted. The new system is called digital, and you need a Digital-signal-to-Analog-TV set (D2A) Converter box in the antenna circuit (coax) between your antenna and your TV. You may be able to find a used Converter box on your local Craigslist or a new box online.

If you have a fairly new TV, odds are it already has a digital Tuner built in to it. If that's the case, go to the on-screen setup menu and change the tuner from 'Cable' to 'Terrestrial' or 'Air'.

In either case, Digital tuners operate differently than analog tuners and they do not automatically know there are any channels available until you have the tuner perform "Scan for New Channels".

I hope this helps.

Jim

:welcome: AmyT!

If you put the word converter into the search box in the upper right corner of your screen, you'll find lots of info on good converters and where to find them. They're simple to connect. Antenna coax currently in your TV goes to the converter, and a (often included) RG-6 cable goes from the converter to that same connector on the TV.

Rick