Converter box prices "plummet" on ebay

O-O

DTVUSA Member
I guess this is contrary to what I thought was going to happen. You'd think there would be more demand for converter boxes on eBay since there weren't any more coupons being given out which would mean more people would be buying used converters?

DTV converter prices are collapsing like a flan in a cupboard. A new Access HD DTA-1080D sold for $26 on eBay this morning. It was listed for $45 at one online retailer. Other Access models are listed starting at $9.99. A Magnavox TB110MW9 starts at $10.45. Amazon has it for $35. A used Digital Stream DTX 9950 is going for $9.49 (less than the $10.35 shipping price.) A new Artec T3AP-LS is at $6.50 after three bids. Several online retailers have it listed for around $45.

All the above models are certified by the government’s converter subsidy program, which stopped taking requests for $40 coupons on July 31.

eBay has around 400 of the boxes up for auction, and bidding appears tepid. Less than 1 percent of U.S. households had no TV reception whatsoever at the end of July, according to Nielsen. The audience measurement firm said 1.5 million households hadn’t converted to digital reception, but 60 percent of those were getting low-power, translator and/or border signals.
DTV Converter Prices Plummet

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
It could be that the last few months of coupon applicants ordered theirs with the intention of buying a converter box and turning around and selling them on the net.

Eureka

DTVUSA Member
As old analog TVs eventually quit, more and more people will replace them with new digital TVs. So, eventually I think there may be a glut of boxes on eBay.

That being said, I have noticed prices going upward recently for some converter boxes on eBay. The Zenith DTT901, for example.

Aries

DTVUSA Member
I'll admit that I bought a few cheap so I could make some spare cash, and I also bought some from people who actually didn't need one so they could make back some of their losses. Made some nice pennies that way.

Bought my from craigslist for $20 about 2 weeks ago. I lost my coupons and didn't want to mess with reapplying, and I think I actually ended up paying less for my converter than buying new and using coupons. :)

Piggie

Super Moderator
There aren't any dtvpal plus converters on there. Only the TR-40. :(
In May and June there were tons of Pluses. Finally I decided I wanted one to play with. Three was exactly one left in late June and I bought it for $30. Still glad I bought it. Haven't seen many sense.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Have you found the tuner in the plus box noticeably better than the boxes with LG tuners (zenith, insignia, venturer, artec, etc.)?
I have an older Insignia NS-DXA1 with no ATP. (Note ATP is a typo what was designed to cause HTNut to post, so I left it wrong).

It and the Pal Plus hold their own side by side.

The Pal Plus has a much better guide, but I think my Insignia has a slightly better picture.

All in all if I bought again, it would be the Pal Plus.

Of course at least for me, those days are behind me. And in Flea
Bay it sounds like the boxes that were sub par are the one mainly on sale.

The product run for converter boxes was so short lived, it was really almost over by the time which were good and which stunk came to light.

=========

Still it baffles me how it took until we nearly hit the analog shut off for boxes to even be inexpensive (not counting the coupons). Up until Feb 2008, a box was $200 (granted most of them were also HD). Then with one year until shut off, the boxes flooded the market.

The closest other change was opening of the UHF TV band. It was opened in the 1940s, but applications were frozen until 1952. TV's were required to have a UHF tuner by 1964. So more or less TV manufactures were give 12 years to get with the program (actually they knew it was coming about 10 years before that).

But my point was the only people I knew with UHF converters had TV's from the early 1950's. Our 1954 Zenith had UHF built in. By the late 50's you couldn't find TV's without UHF. Heck by 1962 or so a few people had color though it only came on a few times a year.

So why this time was everything at the last moment? Most of the stations in the country were digital 5 years ago or more. But the TVs were not mostly ATSC ready until a there was about a year to go. There were not any inexpensive converters until a year to go.

Why? I believe because we have become much more so of a market driven society. Just In Time profit only motivated society. To me it's a sign beneficence has given way totally to profit, and common sense to divisive heated conversations.

Welcome to the New World, hope you like the ride.

Last edited:

Eureka

DTVUSA Member
I have an older Insignia NS-DXA1 with no ATP.
What is ATP?

=========

The closest other change was opening of the UHF TV band. It was opened in the 1940s, but applications were frozen until 1952.
The first TV station in the town I grew up in was UHF, but it eventually switched to VHF, leaving lots of useless UHF converters in homes and little bowtie antennas on rooftops. UHF didn't return there until the 1980s.

Piggie

Super Moderator
ATP is a typo for PTA, which means Parent Teacher Association, is a typo for TPA, which is the airport designator for Tampa International Airport, which was probably in the context of my post a typo for APT, but then isn't APT where some people live?

I confuse, you decipher...... Fair and Ridiculous.......

I can see it now, the year 2025, I'm at some junk ridden flea market digging through old boxes and I find an RCA DTA800b. Oh ************! I remember these. How much? a buck? ok i'm sold.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
I don't remember much discussion about resale prices going up after the coupons expired. I think the points made were about new, more "premium" (read: pricey) offerings coming onto the market. I haven't seen that happen yet, though.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I don't remember much discussion about resale prices going up after the coupons expired. I think the points made were about new, more "premium" (read: pricey) offerings coming onto the market. I haven't seen that happen yet, though.

Yeah, the only converter box I've seen go up is the DTVPal Plus converter which is a more desirable box among the A/V forums I frequent.