Converter Box stopped working

paula2

DTVUSA Rookie
Hi, Have had two converter boxes since...Feb 2009. In the last two months one stopped working entirely. The power comes on but it will not change from red (off) to green. Now the second one stopped receiving. It says on (green) I have checked and re checked all of the cables, changed antennas, plugged and unplugged and plugged again. Cannot figure out why they suddenly stopped working. changed channels from 2 to 3 to 4...checked the button on the back that says 3 or 4...and moved from room to room. no luck any ideas? Product is DT250A / Apex. Thanks!

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
I have a DTV Pal converter box and it also quits working from time to time. Its plastic case is very warm so I suspect its overheating. I might be able to resolve that by drilling the case full of holes, but then it will fill up with dust!
Jim

Has anyone tried putting a small CPU fan on the biggest IC to help cool these things?

Even a heat sink would suffice. the only problem i've experienced with Apex DT250s is bad power supply transformers and antenna coax ports which come unsoldered from the tuner as there's nothing holding them to the chassis.

when used with the outside console TV during summer (on my porch) it had a habit of turning itself off but it had gotten wet from a t-storm. just enough to cause the protection circuitry to kick in, albeit not destroy the unit. when dry it worked as i has been.

Last edited:

Barbara

DTVUSA Rookie
I am having the same problem, took it back to Best Buy but they say there is no way they came pull my name up (that asked for my phone # so what's the problem replacing it. They want me to pay $30 for replacing it is that fair. I can't find my reciept at this time.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I'm just dealing with it. Sometimes I have to wait for mine to just shut off on its own, which it finally does. It's a pain, but what can you do.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
I installed an antenna system and a DTV Pal converter box at a friends house last summer and I recently received a phone call telling me the converter box quit. None of the 'reboot' suggestions here worked, so chalk it up as another dud box. :mad:
Jim