Converter Box to Computer Monitor

Ajax

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I have a 19" Viewsonic monitor with a VGA connection and a DVI connection. What I'd like to do: I'd like to connect a converter box to my monitor and watch TV or use my computer. Is this possible if I get a adapter to convert from RCA to VGA or RF to VGA?

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
You or a computer savvy friend would just need to install a NTSC tuner card into your PC tower and you'd be good to go.
I have a 19" Viewsonic monitor with a VGA connection and a DVI connection. What I'd like to do: I'd like to connect a converter box to my monitor and watch TV or use my computer. Is this possible if I get a adapter to convert from RCA to VGA or RF to VGA?

I'd just get an ATSC tuner card for your computer. There are 2 types. The PCI cards that you put on your motherboards PCI slot or the USB external tuner sticks. Make sure it's an ATSC/Digital card as NTSC won't work anymore.

The USB sticks are more expensive, though.

So, what if I wanted to do this from my laptop? Can I? I am tired of my huge tv and can't afford a flat screen right now but my Aunt gave me a 22" flat screen monitor that I have been able to connect to my dvd player but not to my converter box. You said I won't need the converter box with a tuner card? Can I get a tuner card for my laptop?

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
So, what if I wanted to do this from my laptop? Can I? I am tired of my huge tv and can't afford a flat screen right now but my Aunt gave me a 22" flat screen monitor that I have been able to connect to my dvd player but not to my converter box. You said I won't need the converter box with a tuner card? Can I get a tuner card for my laptop?
What kind of connection do you have available on the back of the 22" flat screen? A single yellow rca? VGA? DVI?

Thanks!!

Ok, so I went to Radio Shack and found a usb tuner stick on sale. Looks like I'm going to be able to use the monitor as a flat screen.....cool! BTW, thanks cowboyup4christ I checked your other comments and got good info on the best converter boxes. You are very knowledgeable and you made this whole process a lot simpler for me.
God Bless You!

Ajax

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Just got an email about this post being updated last weekend. I may have to look for a cheap usb tuner but I can't find anything under $55

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Just got an email about this post being updated last weekend. I may have to look for a cheap usb tuner but I can't find anything under $55
Ajax, Unfortunately it'll be tough to get it done for less than $55.00 The USB tuner will probably be the least expensive route. Watch the classified ads and ebay for a good second hand USB tuner. Maybe you could find one for less. Here is another thread with information.
http://www.dtvusaforum.com/converter-boxes-atsc-tuners/4330-converter-my-lcd-monitor.html