Converter for Seiko TV Watch (portable)

66Cooper

DTVUSA Member
This is a strange one. I have vintage Seiko TV Watch that receives its signal from an antenna (which is the headphones). This is a long shot I know but can anyone thing of a way to get a converter for this? I dont can about it being portable, just want to see a picture on the old girl again.
Also, I am not afraid to open it up and splice into the internal antenna if that would work. Thanks a lot!

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
This is a strange one. I have vintage Seiko TV Watch that receives its signal from an antenna (which is the headphones). This is a long shot I know but can anyone thing of a way to get a converter for this? I dont can about it being portable, just want to see a picture on the old girl again.
Also, I am not afraid to open it up and splice into the internal antenna if that would work. Thanks a lot!
You sir have a very cool gizmo. ;)

Does the "shirt pocket" receiver have any inputs on it?

66Cooper

DTVUSA Member
No inputs at all. The only thing it has is a regular headphone jack (which doubles as its antenna). The large plug on the right of the receiver is the output that goes to the watch for video.

I thought of something, What if I clipped the end off a headphones and strip the wires and then connect something like this:

to those striped wires? Does that make any sense. I dont know how the headphones provide the video signal so not sure if it will work.

66Cooper

DTVUSA Member
Thanks. It truly is. People say in reviews that the picture is bad and whatever but just thinking about what it does, and then remembering that it did it in 1982 gives me chills. It is the coolest thing I've bought in a long while.

Now, if only i could get it to work again...

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Welcome to the DTVUSA Forum. Your best shot at getting it working is to eliminate the shirt pocket tuner and connect it to a CECB. What is the adapter end connected to the old pocket tuner? Is it an mini phone plug? I wouldn't cut anything or open and destroy the original wiring, you won't need to. Radio shack and other electronics outlets sell adapters for any configuration you could imagine. You may need to go from coaxial cable to RCA and then to mini phone plug. I would recommend a coaxial to mini phone plug. You would connect the CECB using coaxial cable. This way you would get both audio and video. Once all is working we can get you going semi mobile. What a treat:D
EDIT: I would recommend a coaxial to female mini phone plug

Last edited:

66Cooper

DTVUSA Member
Wow, that is what I am taking about! I will have to get a picture up of the connection. A German site shows a guy building his own "receiver" that eliminates the tuner but it looks VERY complex to me.
Would be cool to be able to keep everything original. If I did have to hack into it, I would do it very skillfully as to not effect anything and to always be able to put it back to original.

Check this link out for what the German guy did. Has a pick of connector too.

Willkommen auf der Homepage von DG1SFJ

66Cooper

DTVUSA Member
Oh, so the cable show is the cable that sends the video signal to the watch. The receiver gets is TV and radio signal thru the headphones which is a standard mini phone jack (like on iPod). If there is a way to use the mini phone jack to pick up any sort of modern signal, that would rule! Thanks all!

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I'll have to study the schematic a little bit to figure out what it does. By the looks of the connector it appears the pocket tuner needs to remain as part of the system. Building the converter from Willkommen auf der Homepage von DG1SFJ looks like it would be quite simple. The idea used in my original post won't work. I will look through different connectors to figure out the easiest possible way. At this point it looks like you will need a radio shack adapter to go between the headphone jack and the pocket tuner. The only part needing modification is the adapter. You will attach the two separated leads from a coaxial cable to the adapter. I'll leave you with this for now. I'll work a few things out and post back with my idea.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Wow, that is what I am taking about! I will have to get a picture up of the connection. A German site shows a guy building his own "receiver" that eliminates the tuner but it looks VERY complex to me.
Would be cool to be able to keep everything original. If I did have to hack into it, I would do it very skillfully as to not effect anything and to always be able to put it back to original.

Check this link out for what the German guy did. Has a pick of connector too.

Willkommen auf der Homepage von DG1SFJ
Just in case anyone needs a German to English translation of that page: Google Translate

:)

Awesome watch. Definitely a collectors item.

Thanks a lot. I am a little confused about this but thanks so much for having a look into it.
I'm not sure what I would need to buy at Radioshack though. Would it be a mini phone jack to RCA? Whatever way I go, I will need a digital converter I assume though.
If you were able to figure out what that German site has done, I would be glad to pay to you build one:) Anything to get this to work again.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks a lot. I am a little confused about this but thanks so much for having a look into it.
I'm not sure what I would need to buy at Radioshack though. Would it be a mini phone jack to RCA? Whatever way I go, I will need a digital converter I assume though.
If you were able to figure out what that German site has done, I would be glad to pay to you build one:) Anything to get this to work again.
Just thinking here,
but if you find a adapter for the "video connector" in this diagram below to connect to a converter box, you really won't have a need for the receiver anymore. Which brings another small obstacle to overcome, finding an adapter for RCA to headphones to receive audio from the converter too.

Right. If you look at that site I posted, that guy did away with the entire receiver as well. I really just want to get video back on the screen. Sound would be great but will take just video.
I guess I just need a way to get a digital converter to hook up to the receiver. That being the easiest method. Man, that would be great. Cant imagine how cool it would be to watch James Bond's Octo*************** (where the watch was shown to the world) on the actual watch! Way cool.

Last edited:

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I need a picture of your headphone connector. If you can post the picture I'll post the connector you'll need to purchase and how to modify it. I'm trying to do this as inexpensive and functional as possible.

Well, I do not have the original headphones so the ones I use are just regular style headphones. I will have to look through all my papers to see if there is any difference in from the original headphones and the ones I have been using.
Will try to get one on here tonight. Leaving tomorrow AM for a few days