Cool Software

I just found this when playing with my new hand held gps it is called expert gps or you can use software that comes with gps but I can get exact distances to locations on the map and store them in my gps. the expert gps works with google earth this way I don't have to guess about distance from antenna to transmitter just plot and it tells you the distance. maybe this is just cool to me but thought I would share.:)

bugz71

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Very interesting. I did not know they could do this. Maybe you can keep us updated on this. What would be purpose of knowing this information anyways.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Very interesting. I did not know they could do this. Maybe you can keep us updated on this. What would be purpose of knowing this information anyways.
Probably to give you an idea of how far away the broadcast towers are from your house. It's useful for trying to determine what type of antenna you need.

I down loaded a software call POI Converter which will let me convert the google earth .kml files that show the digital transmitters nation wide and convert it to a .gdb or .gpx file and the load it into my map source software that came with my Garmin etrex HCX. then I can plot routes between my exact location and the transmitters giving me a exact distance. then I can adjust my setup to get the best reception or tweak it for DX reception. :) also if I know the gps location of anyone in the us I can plot their transmitters as well. I though this was just too much fun.