Cost

I am new to the internet tv fad. Can you please tell me if you have to pay to watch the television shows?

I mean, I would think you would have to because wouldn't that really P off the cable companies? I never have, but I can hook my computer up to my big screen--I would only have to pay for my internet and get "free" cable. I would save almost $60 a month that way.

KrisNY

DTVUSA Member
I'm confused? You mean to watch the shows that are on their websites? I do that when I miss one. It's free.
I wouldn't try that Sweet- it's illegal and you would probably get caught!

How is it illegal? I am confused. What is the difference of watching these shows on my computer screen vs. my 42 inch television screen?

Is it illegal to watch them on the computer? Are we not suppose too?

It's not illegal to watch it over the internet, and some cable companies host their own broadband so they're getting the difference from the broadband bills. that is, you pay $30 per month (example) they get their money either way. otherwise it's just like OTA TV. i don't think Cable companies have problems with people viewing digital tv for free either.

I think that Kris thought you meant planning on 'stealing' cable. that's illegal.

There's a few sites with a whole playlist of various shows. my two favs are:

SurfTheChannel - Home

TV Shack - tune in

There's movies, too. have fun! and watch out for Youku links, they're the slowest at buffering rates so if you don't want your shows to keep cutting out try to avoid Youku. since the videos aren't stored on your hard drive and just play in a Flash Video, it's not like you're illegally downloading them Napster style. i hook up my Acer Aspire One netbook up to a external 19" monitor to watch them so long as i have an internet connection.

Last edited:
Thank you for that information. I have bookmarked those websites. I might just use it for myself. I never have the television anyway--I will just watch my own television on my computer without the family..lol

d3stiny

DTVUSA Jr. Member
thank you for the links, i find it accessible for i can hardly spend time watching tv, well i turn on my tv screen but just for background noise.

Ricardo

DTVUSA Member
Some television channels put up their shows to be watched online, and advertise that fact.

But in some cases, you can also find content that's online illegally. I would definitely avoid using that.

Sites like NBC.com are bad about only allowing you to watch the first 5 minutes or so then it goes dead. other times they're only hosting the episode for a limited time, meaning that if you don't see it NOW, you never will. a few of the new Knight Rider episodes from season 1 ended up dead links after a week later. :(

My Over-the-air TV watching consists of late-night Frasier and Everybody Loves Raymond on weekdays, and Cold Case on Sundays. everything else is Public Access. boring life isn't it?

lol, i get my true kicks online. but i always love to watch anything that's on so long as it isn't stupid, sex-oriented, or reality tv. if i want reality i will go outside.

Coolest thing about iTV (Internet TV) is that if you missed that new episode of Flashpoint, or any other show, you can go online and see it anyways. DVR is so cliche now isn't it? I use iTV to watch shows that haven't been on the air for like in ages. shows like Doogie Howser, M.D., Growing Pains, Mama's Family, Carol Burnett, Alice, anything that TV land and others have long since given up on. heck i don't know why but you NEVER see 'Mister Ed' on anymore. on any classic network. but he's still online!

Last edited:

khlariss

DTVUSA Jr. Member
It's not illegal to watch it over the internet, and some cable companies host their own broadband so they're getting the difference from the broadband bills. that is, you pay $30 per month (example) they get their money either way. otherwise it's just like OTA TV. i don't think Cable companies have problems with people viewing digital tv for free either.

I think that Kris thought you meant planning on 'stealing' cable. that's illegal.

SurfTheChannel - Home

TV Shack - tune in

There's movies, too. have fun! and watch out for Youku links, they're the slowest at buffering rates so if you don't want your shows to keep cutting out try to avoid Youku. since the videos aren't stored on your hard drive and just play in a Flash Video, it's not like you're illegally downloading them Napster style. i hook up my Acer Aspire One netbook up to a external 19" monitor to watch them so long as i have an internet connection.
Thanks for the links. Been following your posts guys about this thread. Glad I did. I thought it was illegal, got me scared at first.:becky: We tried it once you know. Just tried though.

The only way for it to be illegal is if you're downloading it to your hard drive and keeping it. flash-based online TV streaming is only on your hard drive until you finish watching the show, called a 'buffer' and then once it's over it is deleted.

I wouldn't touch 'torrents' with a 40-foot pole. also using those kinds of P2P programs is just asking for computer viruses.

The sites i posted don't own the videos, they host them from sites like NBC, Hulu, Youtube, etc. so there is no copyright violation.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
The only way for it to be illegal is if you're downloading it to your hard drive and keeping it. flash-based online TV streaming is only on your hard drive until you finish watching the show, called a 'buffer' and then once it's over it is deleted.

I wouldn't touch 'torrents' with a 40-foot pole. also using those kinds of P2P programs is just asking for computer viruses.

The sites i posted don't own the videos, they host them from sites like NBC, Hulu, Youtube, etc. so there is no copyright violation.
Thanks for the explanation man, I've always wondered how HULU has managed to skirt the law. I wonder if there'll be some laws enacted to change what websites can show and whatnot....

Depends. i would guess that they'd follow youtube's policy on copyright infringement and remove any violating video. but unlike 'tube, there is no user-posted video so any infringement would be hard to happen. i mean HULU has ad-based sponsorship in the form of commercial breaks which pay for the content so i would say they're fully in compliance.

cheribyl

DTVUSA Jr. Member

SurfTheChannel - Home

TV Shack - tune in

Hi there! Thank you so much for this. I didn't know about these sites. I love watching in the net. Free loader:becky:

GrantDraper

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I am new to the internet tv fad. Can you please tell me if you have to pay to watch the television shows?

I mean, I would think you would have to because wouldn't that really P off the cable companies? I never have, but I can hook my computer up to my big screen--I would only have to pay for my internet and get "free" cable. I would save almost $60 a month that way.
As suggested by many others, you are better off avoiding the illegal route! There are plenty of free channels out there, but only use the official channels, rather than the fraud's.