Costas Streak Ends

That stinks! I heard the announcer mention it during tonight's broadcast. Hopefully he's able to work out the medical issues and return to a consistent appearance soon.

Lily13

DTVUSA Member
Man that sucks. I hate it when things you really can't change destroy your plans, especially when you've got a streak going like he has :( Hope his health gets better.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I like Bob Costas, but I've seen a ton of comments on facebook and twitter with disdain about his delivery/style. Anyway, hope he gets better.

Bob Costas' eye problems are forcing him to miss Tuesday's coverage, thus ending his streak of many Olympic games broadcasts.

| NBC Olympics
It's always sad to hear when a legend in any field is going through a mjor health issue, but Bob Costas is not the amazing announcer everyone thinks he is. His delivery and insight is always slow and generic. He is a legend, who also knows little about the sports he's covering. Compare to someone like Lon Simmons and I dare you to even try and compare the two. Lon knew baseball inside and out, and his commentary revelaed just that.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
oh gosh - Lon! lol Another not my style. I had to listen to him for a while but not a favorite. Now, I liked Monte Moore! He's my favorite baseball announcer of all time. "and therrrrrrre she goes!" lol

SamuelB

DTVUSA Member
Poor guy. We can argue on whether he's good or just famous because he happens to do what he does. But still, we should all wish him the best when it comes to health... It's the most important thing we've all got after all.

oh gosh - Lon! lol Another not my style. I had to listen to him for a while but not a favorite. Now, I liked Monte Moore! He's my favorite baseball announcer of all time. "and therrrrrrre she goes!" lol
I grew up a Giant's fan so that has part of the credit, but "tell it gooooodbye!" is my all time favorite

I'm going to have to disagree about Bob Costas not being a good announcer. I think he is incredible with baseball and used to love it when he announced games with Tony Kubek on NBC back in the day. I also love it when he announces on the MLB Network. He knows baseball backwards and forwards.

Orrymain

I like Costas well enough; he's pleasant to listen to and knows enough to satisfy the average listener. He's a steady presence and that's important too. He missed a second night of the Olympics. I haven't heard yet if he's back tonight or not.

thaat's the argument I'm making he's not the announcer for fans of the sport he's the announcer for the general masses. That's why his best comparison is John Madden, a brilliant football mind, but his commentary is simple enough anyone can follow. Im not saying he isn't a smart man, but his announcing talent is far from the best

I still will disagree but I respect your opinion. I would listen to Bob Costas any day of the week and his analysis rather than someone like a Joe Buck who admits that he doesn't like baseball as much as football and quite frankly it shows in his work.

I still will disagree but I respect your opinion. I would listen to Bob Costas any day of the week and his analysis rather than someone like a Joe Buck who admits that he doesn't like baseball as much as football and quite frankly it shows in his work.
but thats exactly the argument I am making, you just support my claims. Bob Costas is a mutli-sport announcer and his comments reflect as such. He is good for the mases, but lacks the detail and insight I like in my announcers.

Orrymain

I miss them both! ... and Costas is back, I'm glad to say. I do like the continuity of having him around. McKay was quite the force. Of course, he was a big part of the Munich situation in those Olympics of sad long ago.