Cowboys Deep Fringe Prescription

Antennas Direct 91XG UHF Antenna for uhf Digital stations mounted 4 ft over a
Winegard YA1713 VHF Antenna. Channel Master Titan 7777 preamp to combine the two antennas signals it has one vhf and one uhf input and one output. a Channel Master 9521a rotator about 20 to 30'+ antenna height from the ground.
If you just need UHF then drop the VHF antenna and use a wine guard 4800 pre amp. some places all the post transition channels will be UHF with one or two High VHF most UHF antennas will get the High VHF. if you have Low VHF post trans then you will need both antennas.
to find out go to tvfool.com put in your address and zip it will give you a radar graphic and list of channels it will tell you which will be UHF and which will be VHF this will help you decide and help you determine where to point your antennas. if the Channels are not more than 10 to 20 degrees apart on the compasss you may get all without a rotator.:)
you can find these online if not local in your area.

Last edited:

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Hi Cowboy.

I took your advice from another thread and bought the cm7777 from summit source. I ordered it on a thursday and received it on the following monday. Hooked it up and went from receiving 28 channels to 33. That was nice but the one channel I really wanted to improve the reception on was wxix 19 out of Cincinnati. They, like 45 in Dayton air the 'This tv network' but 19 doesn't preempt it almost every evening with other programming like 45 does.

Anyway, the preamp helped 19's signal improve but not by much so I got into the attic and moved the antenna around a bit but to no avail.
So then I tried something that never worked before but this time, due to the amp I suspect, it worked. I turned the antenna 90 degrees like this

hung it back on the nails (yea, it's a crude set up) and 19's signal is now stronger than most of the Dayton channels. I'm guessing it made the antenna more directional since two other Cincy channels have a much lower signal reading now but that's ok since they have identical programming to other stations we get.

All in all I'm happy with the 7777 preamp and will soon be upgrading the antenna to a db4
which will also be hung sideways in the attic. :)

Hi Cowboy.

I took your advice from another thread and bought the cm7777 from summit source. I ordered it on a thursday and received it on the following monday. Hooked it up and went from receiving 28 channels to 33. That was nice but the one channel I really wanted to improve the reception on was wxix 19 out of Cincinnati. They, like 45 in Dayton air the 'This tv network' but 19 doesn't preempt it almost every evening with other programming like 45 does.

Anyway, the preamp helped 19's signal improve but not by much so I got into the attic and moved the antenna around a bit but to no avail.
So then I tried something that never worked before but this time, due to the amp I suspect, it worked. I turned the antenna 90 degrees like this

hung it back on the nails (yea, it's a crude set up) and 19's signal is now stronger than most of the Dayton channels. I'm guessing it made the antenna more directional since two other Cincy channels have a much lower signal reading now but that's ok since they have identical programming to other stations we get.

All in all I'm happy with the 7777 preamp and will soon be upgrading the antenna to a db4
which will also be hung sideways in the attic. :)
Being in the attic cuts your antennas signal gathering ability by 50% so if you could mount the DB4 outside you would get much better reception:)

Eureka

DTVUSA Member
Antennas Direct 91XG UHF Antenna for uhf Digital stations mounted 4 ft over a
Winegard YA1713 VHF Antenna. Channel Master Titan 7777 preamp to combine the two antennas signals it has one vhf and one uhf input and one output. ... if you have Low VHF post trans then you will need both antennas...
Isnt the YA1713 for highband VHF (chs 7 -13) only? So, if one has lowband VHFs (chs 2 -6) wouldn't a different antenna be needed?

Piggie

Super Moderator
Isnt the YA1713 for highband VHF (chs 7 -13) only? So, if one has lowband VHFs (chs 2 -6) wouldn't a different antenna be needed?
Eureka, good catch. I have read that so many times and not noticed that!

A YA-1713 is a highband VHF only antenna.

If you wanted to put up a separate low band (ch2-6) antenna you would need a Winegard YA 1026 10 Element Lo-band Yagi Antenna to match the level of gain of the other two, but that is BIG antenna. You could use a AntennaCraft Y5-2-6 Lowband-Broadband VHF Yagi, with half the boom and probably in the range of 2 to 3 db less gain, despite the manufactures specs of only 1 db less than the YA-1026.

However stacking all three in my opinion is not a good idea or at least non-trivial.

First just the presence of three antenna being above the guy wires is a prescription for wind damage.

If the low band is on the bottom and high band in the middle of the stack, if you really wanted to take antenna aperture of the low band into effect, it would need to be 12 ft below the high band. This is theory and in reality the small area disrupted at the top of the low bands aperture caused by the highband yagi, the spacing can be reduced to 5 to 6 ft with no effect on the high band and very little damage to the low band's pattern.

All that theory aside.

I believe if a person has channels in all three bands, a combo antenna wins due to the simple fact of the construction difficulties with stacking 3 antennas.