Cox Attempts to Decrease Subscriber Cancellations with Economy Plan

dkreichen1968

Staff member
•Cox Communications Inc. confirmed a report that it has begun to roll out a US$34.99 per month "TV Economy" tier that includes local networks and about 20 expanded basic channels, including Discovery Channel and Nickelodeon, but does not include ESPN, the most expensive channel of the lot (here's the TV Economy lineup for Hampton Roads, Va.). The price also includes a rental fee for one standard-definition set-top, a spokesman said, adding that Cox intends to offer TV Economy in all markets. The move, which follows the launch or trial of similar, no-frills video packages from MSOs such as Comcast Corp. (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK) and Time Warner Cable Inc. (NYSE: TWC), is coming into play as cable operators seek out ways to slow the flow of fleeing customers that have been hit hard by the economy or are otherwise looking for less expensive TV alternatives.
Read More: Light Reading Cable - Cable - Cox's $35 'TV Economy' Tier Launches Sans ESPN - Telecom News Analysis

So, for $35 a month you can get Discovery and Nickelodeon in standard definition. Do they really think that's a deal?

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Well the article says that the price includes the price of one STANDARD DEFINITION STB, but that is still $35 plus the franchise fee, FCC fee, and tax. That would come out to over $37. Still a lot of money for very little. $444 a year, or more than what I paid for my 37" Vizio including tax. Oh yeah, and it doesn't even give you HD!!!

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Dish will give you their bargain "family" package for 25 bucks. Of course I don't know if it includes HD these days, and your state may have the additional "video service" tax that cable companies encourage states to add on to satellite services (in utah, it's about $5) plus sales tax. It also includes lots of kids channels and no ESPN if I remember correctly.

Too bad that ESPN has a clause that requires carriers to include ESPN in their "Most Popular" packages. So if these bargain packages become popular, the price will jump by whatever ESPN charges.

My "package" is awesome. Antenna (30+ channels), Roku and PlayOn (Yes, I get Nick, and even Disney LIVE streaming and lots of other stuff!) and the FTA KU dish will go up soon. Total equipment cost has been about $300+, spread over 3 years. I think I'm done buying stuff for a long time now. And I own it all, unlike the cable and satellite boxes.

Monthly cost for the whole package is $7.99 - for Netflix - and the monthly internet bill I would be paying anyway.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Questions and Answers 0
G Questions and Answers 0