Cox Cable Question for High Definition Programming

TonyJ

DTVUSA Rookie
Last month I purchased a TV with a built in NTSC and ATSC digital tuner, and after I brought the TV home, I hooked it up to my cable service (Cox). I noticed immediately that I was only receiving some digital channels but not high definition channels. I sent an email to Cox customer care about the lack of HD programming, and their response was, "You need to upgrade to our Premium service to receive HD".

My question is: Why do I need a set top box to receive high definition channels, why don't I receive them through the basic cable package I have with Cox, an why did I spend so much money on a brand new TV if I can't get High Def!

Byte24

DTVUSA Member
You will only be able to receive "local channels" in HD on your TV. All cable companies encrypt (scramble) High Definition channels offered exclusively on their cable package channels.

Taki

DTVUSA Member
most cable companies charge you a premium for HD service. Do remember that HD will be all broadcast after Feb 2009, so basically your gonna be paying more for the same thing.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Last month I purchased a TV with a built in NTSC and ATSC digital tuner, and after I brought the TV home, I hooked it up to my cable service (Cox). I noticed immediately that I was only receiving some digital channels but not high definition channels. I sent an email to Cox customer care about the lack of HD programming, and their response was, "You need to upgrade to our Premium service to receive HD".

My question is: Why do I need a set top box to receive high definition channels, why don't I receive them through the basic cable package I have with Cox, an why did I spend so much money on a brand new TV if I can't get High Def!
Is your TV equipped with a QAM tuner also? You may be able to receive some HD channels on cable with this type of a tuner.