Cox disables "fast forward" option for ABC VOD service

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Source: Video-on-demand deal bars ad skipping: WSJ - MarketWatch
Walt Disney Co.'s two big TV networks, ABC and ESPN, have struck a deal with cable operator Cox Communications Inc. to offer hit shows and football games on demand, but with the unusual condition that Cox disables the fast-forward feature that allows viewers to skip ads, according to a media report Tuesday.
I can't believe Cox agreed to do this, and at the expense of its customers. I understand that advertising is the crucial element that allows ABC to offer shows free of charge to be downloaded whenever a customer wants through the Cox VOD service, but they need to be more creative rather than forcing the consumer to watch ads.

Yeah if I had Cox I definitely don't know if I would like that. I currently have directv and I do not watch commercials...I will actually start to tape my show and not start to watch it until 15 minutes into the show so then I can skip the commercials.

Fardreamer

DTVUSA Member

I can't believe Cox agreed to do this, and at the expense of its customers. I understand that advertising is the crucial element that allows ABC to offer shows free of charge to be downloaded whenever a customer wants through the Cox VOD service, but they need to be more creative rather than forcing the consumer to watch ads.
They can, I think, be creative about generating revenue; they can charge companies for direct product placement in shows themselves. It wouldn't be the first time a broadcaster did this, because soap operas are derived from radio era commercials which were interwoven into dramatic storylines.

Byte24

DTVUSA Member
There's always a way to bypass stuff like this, I'm sure someone will figure it out. The tough part about messing with set top boxes provided by cable company's, is the fact that the boxes can "talk back" and notify a cable company of any tampering.

tyler

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I haven't noticed this problem about not being able to fast forward in ABC on demand but it might have also been a request from ABC. They probably said they wouldn't provide VOD anymore if the option wasn't added so Cox probably did it just so they could keep the option. Who knows but yes, it would suck to have to suffer the change.

ajc_trw

DTVUSA Member
same here with Verizon FiOS

I have to agree with you, it's quite annoying. What's even more annoying is they run the same ad numerous times to the point it gets annoying enough to be an anti-advertisment (I'd NEVER watch that movie). The Disney film with Robin Williams & John Travolta was played ad nauseum during "Flash Forward" so many times I had to hit the mute button or suffer through Seth Green warble "All Out of Love" yet again.

BTW: NBC does the same thing, but their ads aren't as annoying or repetitive.

G

Ad's are here to stay. Just try streaming VOD on your computer. Its the next new tec way to force you to watch what you don't want to see. I will wait for the "new" software that will let my computer SKIP the ads...again

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Questions and Answers 0
G Questions and Answers 0