Current Antenna setup?

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Just curious what antenna everyone is running for over-the-air in their home. Post up pictures if you want too.

I've got a Terk HDTVa (hidden and mounted on the left of the TV near the door) connected to my Mitsubishi WS-55315 55" Rear Projection TV with about 8' of coax. It bested my previous antenna a Terk TV-55 by picking up 2 more local channels (in VHF).

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
Sorry, Aaron, but I didn't see that you had started this thread until now. :grin:

To make amends, I'll answer: I have three antennas in the attic.

The first is an AntennaCraft Y5-7-13

pointed at 287˚ (actual), for RF channels 7, 9, 11 and 13. All are line of sight. Channels 7 and 9 are @ 23 miles; 13 is @ 36 miles; and 11 is @ 66 miles.

The second is a hand-built Hoverman variant (see attached photo), 32" high by 28" wide at the reflectors, also pointed at 287˚ actual, for most of the UHF channels in the market, at 23 miles out, all with line of sight. It is combined on a reversed splitter with a Winegard HD-9032

that is intended to pick up Ion affiliate KPXC broadcasting from 354˚ actual on RF 43 at a distance of 33 miles with 1 edge. It's also getting several other stations, including CBS affiliate KGWN on RF30, broadcasting from Cheyenne, Wyoming, 102 miles/2 edges, about two out of every five evenings, mainly because it's 1˚ away from the Ion affiliate. When it comes in, KGWN is strong enough to watch the entire prime-time lineup from Cheyenne, plus the the local news, without interruption! If you're wondering: Yes, an antenna that's 9 1/2 feet long is an absolute pain to set up and aim in the attic!

The UHF splitter/combiner is connected to a UVSJ, which feeds a 55-foot downlead running to a Winegard CA-8800 FM separator in the back of the entertainment center. One CA-8800 output feeds an FM receiver; the other feeds a DVD recorder/VCR combo, which in turn has an RF output feeding our HDTV. There's no amplifier on anything, by design. (I tried an amp last weekend on the 9032 leg. It sure did boost everything in that general direction, but I also lost 4 channels coming in on the Hoverman. Result of experiment: epic fail. The amplifier got taken out pretty quickly!)

As of today, this setup gets 100-percent reliable reception on 41 channels and sub-channels, not counting digital broadcasts that are simulcast on four low-power analog stations.

Attachments

Last edited:

IDRick

DTVUSA Member
Great thread, Aaron! I am currently using a 4-bay mclapp DIY antenna in my attic plus an Winegard AP8700 pre-amp. Don't have pictures to share at the moment though. My son is using the Winegard Free Vision antenna. I posted our test results in the Free Vision thread.

Best,

Rick

re_nelson

DTVUSA Member
Just curious what antenna everyone is running for over-the-air in their home.
A veritable antenna farm is found in my attic. I know...I know...but I'm at a great location and there's no radiant barrier (since I like it HOT).

Here's the lineup at my far north Dallas (Frisco) location:

AntennasDirect 91XG aimed south to Cedar Hill for UHF.
AntennaCraft Y5-2-6 also aimed south for low-VHF.
Winegard YA-1713 aimed north for KXII/12 in Madill, OK.
Homebrew folded dipole aimed south for high-VHF.

The other equipment:

CM-7777 (in separate mode) for a 75 foot RG-6 cable run.
Pico Macom HLSJ for the high/low VHF diplexing.
Channel Master JoinTenna for the YA-1712 (channel 12) antenna.

I also have a Terk HTDVo in the attic to perform A/B testing with the multi-antenna setup. That Terk certainly holds its own, getting every single facility that the other setup gets, albeit as reduced signal strength.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
It's great to see all these responses so far. Never realized how many people actually installed antennas in their attic, 3 out of 4 so far. :)

re_nelson

DTVUSA Member
It's great to see all these responses so far. Never realized how many people actually installed antennas in their attic, 3 out of 4 so far. :)
I opted for an attic location not because of any conflicts with the HOA or a WAF. Instead, it's just easier to manipulate them by taking a short jaunt up the stairs when needed.

And as I mentioned in the earlier post, I just got plain lucky when I bought the house in terms of OTA. Frisco is one of the higher points in the D/FW area making Cedar Hill LOS in spite of being some 40 miles distant.

SWHouston

Staff member
Greetings REN welcome to the Forum by the way :welcome:

I too live in an HOA, but had my VU on a 50ft Pole in a previous residence.
The grade is at 75' for me, and with the elevation to the Attic, adds another 22' to my height.

As you, my main farm (at Missouri City) has everything I want to watch much like the Cedar Hill facility south of Big D.

I'm shooting through a new set of Architectural Shingles, AND, have the Foil Backing (under) Plyboard on my Roof. The Signal Strength is up top with about 90 units (what ever that is) on my 4 VHF and about 30 additional UHF stations. (I only watch about eight or nine of them). Actually all said and done, I can get about 60 Channels with subs with the setup I have now.

The VU-90XR I have is rated VHF-90mi and UHF-70mi as you can see in the picture. I suppose that "excessive" range for my needed 10 mile trip to the farm, is what overcomes the Signal Loss reported for most Attic installations.
I suppose if one is willing to put enough metal up there, you can get some great TV, and I do. I have Comcast too, and my OTA-HD is VASTLY better than the HD via Comcast.

Have a good Day ! :)
S.W.

Yes616

The Mod Squad
I have one of those Oriental Antennas. The Lava 2805. It works pretty good on UHF from 75 miles away. VHF has been a problem but the problem is probably that I have a channel 11 WPIX 85 miles to my SE and WBRE 75 miles to my SW. The same thing is happening on channel 13. WNET is 85 miles to my SE and WYOU is 75 miles to my SW.

BTW.. These channels are either near NYC or Scranton, PA and are about 120 miles LOS apart. That's way too close together. If you ask me I'd say someone at the FCC and in these stations engineering departments are smoking something very potent. LOL

re_nelson

DTVUSA Member
As you, my main farm (at Missouri City) has everything I want to watch much like the Cedar Hill facility south of Big D.

I'm shooting through a new set of Architectural Shingles, AND, have the Foil Backing (under) Plyboard on my Roof. The Signal Strength is up top with about 90 units (what ever that is) on my 4 VHF and about 30 additional UHF stations. (I only watch about eight or nine of them). Actually all said and done, I can get about 60 Channels with subs with the setup I have now.
The total count here (when I do a rescan) is 3 analogs and 62 digital, including subs.

The VU-90XR I have is rated VHF-90mi and UHF-70mi as you can see in the picture. I suppose that "excessive" range for my needed 10 mile trip to the farm, is what overcomes the Signal Loss reported for most Attic installations.
I suppose if one is willing to put enough metal up there, you can get some great TV, and I do.
During a trip last summer to Katy (near I-10 and Fry), I brought along an Accurian portable and a Terk HDTVa. KNWS/51 came in well which surprised me considering how many complaints there were about it due to its relatively low power. Also I was surprised that KBTX/3 was a regular with that modest setup.

With your VU-90XR, are you able to get KBTX on the backside?

SWHouston

Staff member
REN,

At one time, I had my Antenna up in free air and able to rotate. There are about seven Farms around us, and yes, I got KBTX/3. But given that I'm a little East of the Mo City Farm, KBTX is to my side (Real Ch 50), and I'd just as soon watch our local CBS/KHOU/11.1.

On the KNWS/51, it's possible you caught them before they moved to the Mo City Farm. They're blasting now with 1000Kw though their signal isn't as good as some of the lesser stations. I suppose the quality of the equipment is relative, and they being an Ind., could have something to do with that.

Here's a link to...
Houston TX 77033 Typical Reception
a local ZipCode, where you can see what we have down here, to some extent. There are several stations which do not show up on the TVF Chart like K10PY-D and a couple others. I'm not sure why that is, other than they just haven't caught up after the Changeover.

I enjoyed playing around, trying to see how many stations I could get, but settled on a stationary azimuth on the Mo City Farm. Spent a lot of time and money on it, but just got tired of the tediousness of the search. Like I said, I watch the Nationals and that's about it.

Have a good Day ! :)
S.W.

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
Kosmic SuperQuad on roof, chimney mount, with Gemini Orbit 360 rotor, to Channel Master Titan 7777 amplifier, 50 ft of Quad Shield RG6 to Vizio GV42LF 1080p LCD TV.

My antenna setup consists of a Channel Master (original) 4228, a Winegard YA-1713, a 7777 preamp and a rotator mounted on a 55' tower. You can see the antennas in the upper right hand corner of the picture.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
My antenna setup consists of a Channel Master (original) 4228, a Winegard YA-1713, a 7777 preamp and a rotator mounted on a 55' tower. You can see the antennas in the upper right hand corner of the picture.

Salem, is that from Google Earth (if it is, man that's scary that they can get that close)??

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Q: for salemtubes

salemtubes, :welcome:

PLEASE share the program you are using to capture Goo-Earth images with us!

Like you, I also use an original CM-4228 (not in my attic). How many stations or channels do you receive with your current setup? :thumb:
Jim
--------------

-------------------------

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
I have a 2nd Antenna Setup as well.

Vintage Channel Master Indoor Double Bowtie to Motorola BDA-S1 GAsFet amplifier to Vizio GV42L 720p LCD. Cant bring in Ch. 7 with this but Ch. 16 WJWJ (RC 44) is also a PBS affiliate so I have that covered.

How many stations or channels do you receive with your current setup?
Hi Jim,

Including subchannels, I receive about 50, including all of the full power stations from Cleveland, Akron, Youngstown, Cambridge, Wheeling, Steubenville and Pittsburgh (except WTAE, which is 15 miles southeast of Pittsburgh.)

Stations received 24/7:

KDKA Pittsburgh 2.1 CBS
WKYC Cleveland 3.1 NBC, 3.2 Weather
WEWS Cleveland 5.1 ABC
WTRF Wheeling 7.1 CBS, 7.2 FOX, 7.3 ABC
WJW Cleveland 8.1 FOX
WTOV Steubenville 9.1 NBC, 9.2 RTV
WPXI Pittsburgh 11.1 NBC, 11.2 RTV
WQED Pittsburgh 13.1 PBS, 13.2 Create, 13.3 Neighborhood
WQEX Pittsburgh 16.1 Shopping
WDLI Akron 17.1 TBN,17.2 Church, 17.3 JCTV, 17.4 Enlace, 17.5 Smile
WOIO Cleveland 19.1 CBS, 19.2 Weather
WPCW Pittsburgh 19.1 CW
WFMJ Youngstown 21.1 NBC, 21.2 CW
WPMY Pittsburgh 22.1 22.2 MyTV
WVPX Akron 23.1 ION, 23.2 qubo, 23.3 Ion Life, 23.4 Worship
WVIZ Cleveland 25.1 PBS, 25.2 Ohio, 25.3 World, 25.4 Create, 25.9 Cleveland Sight Center (audio only)
WKBN Youngstown 27.1 CBS, 27.2 FOX
WYTV Youngstown 33.1 ABC, 33.2 MyTV, 33.3 Weather
WUAB Cleveland 43.1 MyTV, 43.2 This
WOUC Cambridge 44.1 PBS, 44.2 Unlimited, 44.3 Select
WNEO Alliance 45.1 PBS, 45.2 Fusion, 45.3 Worldview, 45.4 Spanish
WRLM Akron 47.1, 47.2 Religion
WEAO Akron 49.1 PBS, 49.2 Fusion, 49.3 Worldview, 49.4 Spanish
WPGH Pittsburgh 53.1 53.2 FOX
WBNX Cleveland 55.1 CW
WQHS Cleveland 61.1 Univision (Spanish)

Last edited: