Cut the cord

AG99

DTVUSA Member
I used to be a DirecTV subscriber a few years ago, paying around $60/mo for low-tier service. Then I began to realize how little I actually watched. I'd have the news (if you can call it that) on in the background sometimes, and there'd be a handful of shows I followed faithfully, but mostly when I'd start flipping through the channels, I couldn't find anything to watch.

Then I'd tune in to watch my few favorite shows and get all pissed off at the screen pollution. It was bad enough having ads every few minutes (you can FF through those), but there'd be enormous channel bugs in the corner with programming notes on top of them, distracting me from the show. And after every commercial break, there were the snipes, those skipping, jumping promos taking up the bottom quarter of your screen while you're trying to watch the show you're paying $60 for.

Finally, I couldn't take it anymore. TV just made me mad. So I got rid of DirecTV and started using Netflix, Hulu, and other online outlets instead. Broadband freed me. How about you?

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I'm still tied to satellite TV for another year. Might cut the cord, depends on how much becomes available on streaming this next year. As of right now, I still think it's worth it for me to be able to record with a DVR and get most of my programming through DirecTV.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I don't know that I'll ever be able to do it. I don't like the inconvenient aspects of set top boxes, nor do I want to end up having 3 of them with more separate bills to pay. I'm big into convenience. That said, I have moments when sometimes I think I'm closer to it than at other times but I'm still part of the cable world.

AG99

DTVUSA Member
nor do I want to end up having 3 of them with more separate bills to pay.
I don't have any set top boxes. Everything comes through the internet. My TV and Blu-ray player both have Netflix and Hulu aps, along with Amazon and many others. All I have to do is log on from the TV/Blu-ray to access my accounts. You do need internet-ready equipment though.