Question: Cutting my cable

My husband and I cut our direct tv a few days ago. We thought it would be no problem setting up a digital converter box and antenna to receive over the air channels, but then it occurred to us while we were setting up everything; We're really far from what would be considered civilization. We live in Lancaster, CA.

TV Fool

I bought a Viewtv -163 converter box and a Antennas Direct C2-V-CJM ClearStream 2-V Long Range UHF/VHF Indoor/Outdoor DTV Antenna with 20-Inch Mount.

After hooking them both up, we didn't receive any channels. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
At first, we set the antenna right above out tv, when that didn't work, we took it out side, about 6-8 feet (holding it up) and running a channel search. Nothing again, then I took it to the second floor in my hour and held it out the window while my husband did another channel search to see if the extra height would help. Are we not getting it high enough? Or do we need a different box and antenna? I'm sorry to be such a newbie about this. Any help on what to buy or advice on what to do would be super helpful.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
You are a long ways out and your viewing options may be quite limited. Make sure the antenna is pointed toward 156 degrees magnetic (south southeast) and that the ViewTV is set to scan for over the air channels and not cable. It looks like you may need a larger antenna to have decent result. Also, what kind of TV do you have? If it's a TV made since 2007 you may have better luck with the tuner in the TV.

I believe the TV, which is a Vizio 46" was purchased in 2010. I would have to check the number on the back to make sure it was actually built around then. I'll try to rescan it to the built in tuner and see if it has any effect.

rt1

DTVUSA Member
I made a antenna out of wire and a split open pop can and was pulling about 20 channels.
I was pulling stations from Ft. Wayne indiana from Kalamazoo....that's about 117 miles....i was astonished to be honest.
i was able to get my local NBC channel 8.1...i think it's VHF isn't it ?

The other antenna which was the first one i make two aluminum foil ears about 2 feet long if not a touch longer. I hooked up wires to them then connect them to the tv antenna coax spot, just bare wire stuffed in there. IT worked great...got about 20 channels.
i can't get vhf on this setup....any suggestions

My kids were astonished, they thought it was cool actually.
Atleast i was able to see U-M lose the ND and Mich. State play some football. - See more at: http://www.dtvusaforum.com/dtv-hdtv...nnas-homemade-style.html#sthash.NVAA5nIV.dpuf

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
What kind of TV sets do you own? Do you own any digital (flat screen) tv sets? Are you sure you have connected the converter correctly wired and set up, and scanned for channels correctly? Also, how high off the ground is your antenna?

I would suggest perhaps a good VHF antenna pointed to 168 degrees and a good UHF antenna pointed to 336 degrees could get you a good channel lineup.

rt1

DTVUSA Member
It works strangley well.
just split the can open down the middle, cut the top round piece off (the drinking part)
i drilled two small holes on each side of the split, bottom of the can is where i drilled holes, and used one bolt, 2 washers and a nut to secure the wire down (18 guage insulated). A Y split. Then at the top of the can i drilled two holes on each side and took my 18 gauge wire and made a hanger with it so i can have the pop can antenna supported up on the tv wall hanger.

I did find some video's on this on you tube so I can't take all the credit on the pop can.

My next one i'm going to to use 2 pop cans and have them at a wider distance and try to improvise some ears on each can or a bar going accross the top to each can. Maybe that will give me better vhf.

i would love to hear some info or other ideas from others. - See more at: http://www.dtvusaforum.com/dtv-hdtv...nnas-homemade-style.html#sthash.kXhAGtmZ.dpuf

Do you really need a digital converter...????
I don't have one and with the stupid pop can antennae the other homemade contraption i'm getting like 30 channels...

I put my antenna up against my fireplace on the roof, pointing it to 168 true and I was able to get 19 channels. Any idea how i could get more? No... i dont want to use your can tricks. :D

rt1, I think you already have your own thread to ask questions. Let's concentrate on clovergirl82 here in this thread. She spent some serious money, and needs help to make it pay off!

clovergirl, what you need is "line-of-sight" to the transmitters. That doesn't mean you can literally see them, but with such weak signals, you don't need any walls or ceilings or buildings or trees between your antenna and the transmitting antenna. If any situation called for a roof antenna, it's yours! You also might need a stronger antenna than the C2-V. It's a great antenna, but it might not be the very best antenna for your situation. You might also need more than one antenna to get a good lineup.

Also, pay close attention to dkr's advice about the menu settings in your TV. If you just do a scan -- without specifically setting it to scan for OTA (aka "antenna" or TV) channels -- it will probably scan for cable QAM channels. In that case you get nothing -- exactly what you have now.

Please try the menu setting first, to see if you get anything at all. If not, try a window facing south or north, where most of your stations are, and scan again. Once we get some kind of signal -- even a single station -- we can make further recommendations.

Rick

Aaaaaaa! Clovergirl, we cross posted. Hey, I told ya you needed an antenna on the roof.

Well I guess you can ignore my tome above. I, and others, will get to work on further recommendations. Please list the exact stations you are getting now. We don't need all the subchannels. Just the call letters of each station, or the "Real" channel numbers as listed in your TV Fool report.

Rick

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I put my antenna up against my fireplace on the roof, pointing it to 168 true and I was able to get 19 channels. Any idea how i could get more? No... i dont want to use your can tricks. :D
Okay we have 19 channels on the Vizio tuner. As for antenna placement, do you mean against the FIREPLACE - indoors, or against the fireplace CHIMNEY - Outdoors?

MrPogi said:
132469As for antenna placement, do you mean against the FIREPLACE - indoors, or against the fireplace CHIMNEY - Outdoors?
Probably just couldn't think of the word "chimney," MrP. She said "on the roof," so even if they have a bonfire up der ... :boink:

Last edited: