Cutting the cord

Keith

DTVUSA Member
Keith, I still feel you don't know how to complain properly.
My wife says I complain too much, so I'm confusing everyone with my positive spin; SORRY!

Please stop saying you're "getting" all the channels listed, then turn around to say they "go in and out on a regular basis." Here's the proper way to say this: "I CAN'T GET ANY UHF STATIONS!!" That's the correct, accurate thing to say if you want to get serious help from busy people. Nobody is surprised by this. After all, you have only a VHF antenna installed indoors. Let's say you get a UHF station 85% of the time. That does NOT count.
As everyone knows, with digital signals, you either get it or you don't. As I was testing different antennas in the attic, different wire connections, and going direct vs. splitting to the house, I was relying on the feedback from my TV's (Auto Scan) to measure and determine what my reception was. I was carefully tracking all this data to identify what provided me with the strongest reception based on re-scanning for channels on various TV's. This led me down that "Will Rodgers" path of jumping to incorrect conclusions. It was not until I used the TV's signal meter (I found it on a menu called support) when I determined how much fluctuation there was in the signal. It would take time to actually watch any of these stations to realize they were going in and out, and since I haven't removed my cable service yet, I'm only seeing OTA as I test my hardware.

I don't know how you can even tell that when 66% of the metal up there is doing nothing but causing multipath. This could be a huge factor, or it could be nothing. IMHO, you have to fix this before you know anything. You might not even need a second UHF antenna.

Rick
Now your confusing me. How is it possible to get reliable UHF from my VHF antenna? Even after I remove anything interfering with the signal, I'm being led (by members posting here) that my antenna may be providing some UHF, but it was never built to do that, as UHF was not even being broadcast when this antenna was manufactured. So, until I get a UHF antenna added to the mix, I won't be able to determine if I'm getting interference from the other antennas up there. I now know that the original owner of this house must have used these three antennas to provide reception to different parts of the house, and I may want to do that as well. I considering using one antenna to directly feed a separate DVR without splitting the signal to ensure optimal reception on programs I want to record.

I hope all that clarifies my status. Please excuse my lack of knowledge in the field of technology, but I'm always willing to learn. Don't I deserve some kudos for trying to be a DIY'r "Cutting the Cord"?