Danger in social sites

jerseygirl

DTVUSA Member
No, I am not quoting any terms and conditions of facebook or Myspace or any site like them.

There are people spying other people out with these sites. Right now there have been already a few burglaries which were based on information from social sites.

I have seen on TV that a woman pointed out on a social site that her friend got the big TVscreen on monday (atteched photo with the post) and that they will watch their favorite movies at night. Beside this she told on that social site that she will be out of the house visiting her family in New York for a few days while her friend will be on a business trip.

The whole data was in the social site. Of course there were pictures of New York while visiting and a few note when she will be back home.

Guess what the burglars took away? Yes, it was the TV...

Police got them (and the TV) and the only thing the burglars were saying was:" I was so easy. You do not have to spy in person and watch the house for days. You sit on your computer and you know where to go, while the homeowners are on tour."

Take care- not everybody should know all of you.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
Yep. The experts are trying to get people to network smartly. Don't tell them when you are going out of town. Tell them you WENT out of town. Otherwise, you are just saying 'come get my stuff; I won't be home'.

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
I'm just enough of a curmudgeon that, to me, these sites are exactly as Betty White characterized one of them during her turn as SNL guest host last month:

• "... sounds like a huge waste of time to me."

• "... when I was growing up... we had a phone book, but you wouldn’t waste an afternoon with it."

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
Don't blame the social networks, blame the stupidity of anyone that would publicly announce their new electronics and that they are going out of town. Social networks, just like anything else, can be dangerous if people allow it to happen.

jerseygirl

DTVUSA Member
leighdu I am not blaming the social networks for being dangerous- I only want to show the danger in sharing to much informantion on the net.

Some people tell everything on the net and do not think about consequences at all.

dave73

DTVUSA Member
If someone is posting this info publicly, then they deserve what they get. I only posted limited info publicly on myspace. On facebook, my real name is displayed, and I don't want just anyone spying on my facebook profile (especially people I went to school with who wouldn't give me the time of the day). So I only have my info open to people in my friends list only. I know a friend in real life in my facebook friends list who has info private, except to friends & friends of friends.

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
leighdu I am not blaming the social networks for being dangerous- I only want to show the danger in sharing to much informantion on the net.

Some people tell everything on the net and do not think about consequences at all.
Oh, I was pointing the finger at you, but just at anyone who announces their plans, especially on a social network site. I 100% agree with you that this is a dangerous thing to do. People tend to get really comfortable on those social network sites thinking nothing can happen to them :(.

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
If someone is posting this info publicly, then they deserve what they get. I only posted limited info publicly on myspace. On facebook, my real name is displayed, and I don't want just anyone spying on my facebook profile (especially people I went to school with who wouldn't give me the time of the day). So I only have my info open to people in my friends list only. I know a friend in real life in my facebook friends list who has info private, except to friends & friends of friends.
Exactly! Facebook has a feature where you can put your friends into lists, and share what you choose to share. I actually have quite a few people on my list that I have never met only because I got sucked into one of those application games where you need a lot of people in order to "build your team". However, those people can only see my name. They are sanctioned off into a list entitled "Game Friends", whereas my other friends can actually see my updates, pics, etc. But even then, I am still careful as to what I post.

Exactly! Facebook has a feature where you can put your friends into lists, and share what you choose to share. I actually have quite a few people on my list that I have never met only because I got sucked into one of those application games where you need a lot of people in order to "build your team". However, those people can only see my name. They are sanctioned off into a list entitled "Game Friends", whereas my other friends can actually see my updates, pics, etc. But even then, I am still careful as to what I post.
Facebook is selling not only your personal data (which they got by this "built your team" play-) although they have the right to use every comment and picture you have ever added to your facebook site.

And you have no way to get the stored data deleted. So, if you have had a few pictures showing you drunk on a birthdayparty of a friend posted years ago, they can still be found.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Private experience with this: My husband was looking for a new secretary in his European office. To get the best one out of the last five he just googled their names and founds a "Caipi-clubber", " an "eight dog owner" and "an article about a female thrown out of the house because of not paying the rent"--This makes three out if five.
He called the three and asked, if this information was right and they told him "Yes, but years ago..."