Dell to add mobile dtv capability to computers!

O-O

DTVUSA Member
Dell is going to be adding ATSC-M/H capability to their netbooks. Score one for mobile dtv. ;)

Dell, LG and Samsung have all announced plans to participate with varying devices. Dell plans to offer the service through its Mini 10 netbook, the first laptop PC with integrated ATSC mobile-DTV capability.

"We believe Mobile DTV is an important development for the broadcast community and its affiliated industries," said John Thode, vice president of Dell consumer products.

LG Electronics, codeveloper of the technology at the core of the ATSC Mobile DTV Candidate Standard, demoed devices with built-in mobile DTV chips, including a portable DVD player, three mobile phone prototypes, laptop PCs and automotive entertainment systems.
Sci-Tech Today | Mobile DTV Goes To Washington

Jim1348

DTVUSA Member
Dell To Add ATSC-M/H Capability To Mini 10 Netbook Computers!

Thank for for the post. I don't personally own a notebook or netbook yet, but I have been looking at the Dell Mini 10. With this confirmation that they intend to add ATSC-M/H capability to the Mini 10 netbook computers just kind of confirms my choice. I suppose the bad thing is I can't buy a Dell Mini 10 yet since I suspect that it has to come from the factory with this integrated feature. I am sure that eventually there will be external USB ATSC-M/H tuners, but it might be nice to not have a USB port taken up or have the device protruding from the netbook. I know that GPS is an option right now for the Dell Mini 10 and those two things would be very handy for traveling. My wife, for example, rarely drives if I am in the vehicle, but she would like watching mobile DTV and/or navigating. My two sons, on the other hand, couldn't care less about over the air TV, but would like gaming on a netbook, so the ATSC-M/H would just be a nice extra. On the other hand, my boys would like a portable DVD player and again having an integrated ATSC-M/H would just be icing on the cake.

TVTom51

DTVUSA Member
I just checked on the Dell website, and it looks like they have an option to add an ATSC tuner, but no ATSC-M/H tuner yet with their Mini 10 netbook. Thanks for the link, will have to consider getting one. I wonder if they'll sell the ATSC-M/H tuner separately and how tough it'll be to add to an older netbook or laptop.

O-O

DTVUSA Member
Thank for for the post. I don't personally own a notebook or netbook yet, but I have been looking at the Dell Mini 10. With this confirmation that they intend to add ATSC-M/H capability to the Mini 10 netbook computers just kind of confirms my choice. I suppose the bad thing is I can't buy a Dell Mini 10 yet since I suspect that it has to come from the factory with this integrated feature. I am sure that eventually there will be external USB ATSC-M/H tuners, but it might be nice to not have a USB port taken up or have the device protruding from the netbook. I know that GPS is an option right now for the Dell Mini 10 and those two things would be very handy for traveling. My wife, for example, rarely drives if I am in the vehicle, but she would like watching mobile DTV and/or navigating. My two sons, on the other hand, couldn't care less about over the air TV, but would like gaming on a netbook, so the ATSC-M/H would just be a nice extra. On the other hand, my boys would like a portable DVD player and again having an integrated ATSC-M/H would just be icing on the cake.
No problem. I'm sure there will be USB ATSC-M/H tuners too, but the only problem with those is that they'll use up cpu resources more so than onboard ATSC-M/H tuners. Most netbooks right now are 1.6MHZ and lower, so I'm not sure if they'd actually be able to handle USB tuners.

I'm just happy to see a major computer company grab a hold of the ATSC-M/H technology. I'm hoping that reception of the signals will not be an issue.

redtide2012

DTVUSA Jr. Member
sorry to sound like a wet blanket but these services are usually expensive. the novelty of having a mobile tv anywhere there is line of site will surely wear off for most. Besides, how do you justify paying say 30 bucks a month for mobile tv when you only pay the same for expanded cable tv when you have a package deal? It was a great idea when the money was flowing but with all the people out of work or hours cut back I think the only way I would buy a dell with such a device is if the service was free. and lets face it, the service will never be free.

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
sorry to sound like a wet blanket but these services are usually expensive. the novelty of having a mobile tv anywhere there is line of site will surely wear off for most. Besides, how do you justify paying say 30 bucks a month for mobile tv when you only pay the same for expanded cable tv when you have a package deal? It was a great idea when the money was flowing but with all the people out of work or hours cut back I think the only way I would buy a dell with such a device is if the service was free. and lets face it, the service will never be free.
In fact, this service will be free.

- Trip

Piggie

Super Moderator
Just make sure you strap a Antennas Direct 91XG mounted on a rotator to your netbook. :p
I would suggest in this case a Winegard HD-9032 on a short pole. Save money on the rotor and just turn it yourself, since it will be right next to you.

Good luck though getting it on the bus.

Piggie

Super Moderator
So has anyone ascertained if the Mini 10 will actually have ATSC-M/H or is it just proposed they will add it?

I see both stories in this thread. Or are they using the fact a laptop will move to calling just built in ATSC to be mobile TV?

Drives me crazy when terminology gets mixed up, then raising hopes for some, confusing others, and conclusions only brought to fruition once purchased and tested.

Jim1348

DTVUSA Member
Considering the date on the original post and what I have read on Dell's web page, I have reason to believe that standard ATSC is available now, not ATSC-M/H.

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
I see both stories in this thread. Or are they using the fact a laptop will move to calling just built in ATSC to be mobile TV?
I see only one article linked from this thread, and it clearly indicates ATSC-M/H.

- Trip

Considering the date on the original post and what I have read on Dell's web page, I have reason to believe that standard ATSC is available now, not ATSC-M/H.
I see only one article linked from this thread, and it clearly indicates ATSC-M/H.

- Trip
Correct, Dell is currently offering an ATSC tuner as an option on the Mini 10 netbook. The way that I understood the article is that Dell will be coming out with the ATSC-M/H tuners some time soon, probably around the beginning of 2010.