Difference in Peak Effective Radiated and Average Effective Radiated?

Chips

DTVUSA Member
Recently while reading specs for a Canadian station, I notice their E.R.P. (Peak Effective Radiated power) is 106.5 kw but their AV E.R.P., (Average Effective Radiated Power) is 79 kw. So why the difference is peak power to average power?. Does it have to do with directional pattern of the Antenna?

n2rj

Staff member
Peak ERP is the ERP in the direction of maximum gain of the transmitting antenna. Average ERP is the ERP averaged across the entire 360 degrees of azimuth.

I believe the CRTC does things a bit differently. They quote both figures. The FCC quotes peak ERP as the ERP.

Chips

DTVUSA Member
Thanks Ryan. After I made the post I began to figure that out, but it is good to have it confirm, by some one who knows what they are looking at.. The station I was looking at was CICA Ch.19 in Toronto, they will be going all digital Aug. 18th, which will be the first full power digital station in Toronto. Anyhow, after posting the question I found on Trip's site, this page that shows the pattern and when I rolled my mouse over the points on the edged of pattern it showed me the power level for that part of the antenna pattern, Here is link.
RabbitEars.Info

This a really cool feature of RabbitEars.Info
Thanks, Trip for providing it.

Peak ERP is the ERP in the direction of maximum gain of the transmitting antenna. Average ERP is the ERP averaged across the entire 360 degrees of azimuth.

I believe the CRTC does things a bit differently. They quote both figures. The FCC quotes peak ERP as the ERP.

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
I'm glad you like it. It was a pretty simple project that I tossed together one day.

Just be aware that it may not work in all versions of Internet Explorer, since it's coded in SVG which I think Internet Explorer has only recently begun to support. For example, I just checked in IE8 and it does not work there and instead generates a static image. However, that feature should work in most other browsers. :)

- Trip

Chips

DTVUSA Member
Works okay with IE 9. Great feature, thanks again.
I'm glad you like it. It was a pretty simple project that I tossed together one day.

Just be aware that it may not work in all versions of Internet Explorer, since it's coded in SVG which I think Internet Explorer has only recently begun to support. For example, I just checked in IE8 and it does not work there and instead generates a static image. However, that feature should work in most other browsers. :)

- Trip