Different number of channels on different TV's using a whole house antenna

We have recently cut the cable but are having a few issues that I cannot figure out. I installed a whole house antenna going through or existing coax. One TV (Sansui purchased in 2009) receives 14 or more channels however our Toshiba Regza (32hl67U purchased in early 2008) only receives 5 digital channels. The signal strength is at the maximum on the Toshiba based on the display on the TV, does anyone have nay idea of how to improve the number of channels on this set. Do I need an ATSC tuner or a signal booster? There is a single split on this cable running into the house with a run of less than 100 feet.
We plan on streaming Netflix etc on this set as well. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

n2rj

Staff member
Hard to say.

Get us a TV fool report by going to TV Fool and putting in your address data. Copy and paste the URL of your report. It strips your address data out to protect your privacy.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Yes, please give us your TVfool report.

Is the cable run to the Toshiba Regza longer than the one going to the Sansui? The general rule is that you lose 1 dB of signal per 18-20 ft of cable. Also, make sure the cable is in good shape and the F-connectors are installed correctly.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: jndturner,

You could swap TV sets to see if the second outlet offers (and the Sansui receives) all 14 channels: that would indicate the 'problem' is with the Toshiba's tuner. All tuners are not created equally and some suffer more from confused signals (multipath) and others are more able to decipher marginal signals. As mentioned above, your TVFOOL report would help.

Jim

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
What Jim said first - take one (smaller) tv around the house to different outlets and see if the channel counts are different. If you get pretty much the same channels, it's your wiring. If not, then it's the tuner in the Toshiba.

If the cable run to the Toshiba is longer than the run to the Sansui, you could upgrade the wire (it may be a long run of cheap rg59, it should be RG6) or use a signal amplifier (not the best solution, but easier).

dkreichen1968

Staff member
And, make sure your antenna is pointed in the correct direction. TVfool will help you determine which direction that is (we can help with that). During the digital transition some stations in my area moved, so that all the stations are now in a central location. I still see a lot of older antennas pointed toward Pueblo rather than Cheyenne Mountain.

scandiskwindows9x

Moderator of DTV Latino
:welcome: jndturner,

You could swap TV sets to see if the second outlet offers (and the Sansui receives) all 14 channels: that would indicate the 'problem' is with the Toshiba's tuner. All tuners are not created equally and some suffer more from confused signals (multipath) and others are more able to decipher marginal signals. As mentioned above, your TVFOOL report would help.

Jim
that is right even in ISDB-T differents turner deal differently with multipath and low signals broadcast , but always wondered what is the difference between the generations of ATSC turners 5,6th generation

scandiskwindows9x

Moderator of DTV Latino
ok as comparison my first DTV set top box can not pickup the channel 4.1 at 200KW only and the new set top box can pickup the channel but can not deal too good with low power broadcast the channel gets frozen always and goes back. but that is why the time interleaving is too long for the power used for broadcast.,

best regards
Francisco