Digital phone?

KrisNY

DTVUSA Member
Right now I have Time Warner cable and internet. I am interested in switching to digital phone as well. I'm a bit leary of switching though- When the cable goes out we will have no phone (ok cell phones). Does anyone have the All-in-1 package? Any problems with the phone?

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
They've got some pretty decent bundle - packages right now if you get cable/phone/internet. Come to think about it, pretty much every major TV service provider does right now except for DirecTV. :(

KrisNY

DTVUSA Member
Yes, I know and the prices went up today- 3/1/09 AGAIN.... So I'm thinking I need to get into a bundle with all 3. I was just curious to see how good the phone service was.

I live in the country- around here we had a deal with frontier- frontier dsl, phone and I thought it was direct tv. But I can't get the dsl out here - only road runner for high speed internet- so I'm stuck with Time Warner.

misha

DTVUSA Member
The Digital Phone offer is good. The reception of the line is very high quality, and it is crystal clear. There are some other little offers they have occasionally that may give you the incentive to switch over.

Mockingbird

DTVUSA Member
I was worried about the phone going out with the power, that was enought to convince me to stay with verizon. Think over well the cost no matter from what provider is to expensive

Yes616

The Mod Squad
I have the internet + phone via TWC. TV thorugh Dish Network.

The phone is great. Don't forget to tell them you want to port your existing number if you want.

If the power goes out, I use my Verizon cell phone. Can you hear me now? Sorry, couldn't resist. lol

I go with Dish for TV as the picture is much better. The price is pretty good too.

tj716

DTVUSA Member
You can ask them if they have the back up battery feature, that would keep you from loosing your phone when the power goes out. I know some places have them I don't know if twc is one of them.

Yes616

The Mod Squad
The cable company does not offer battery back up devices. Since the signal gets boosted by electric as it travels from the source to your home, a battery back up inside your home will not help.

It shouldn't matter that every once in a long while you loose the phone service due to this if you have a cell phone. I have been doing this for years and have had no problems at all.

jolix

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I got the digital phone when I went to price lock last year. The phone as not given me any problems at all, and it sound clear. What I like is that I get unlimited long distance and the caller id show up on my tv.

Yes616

The Mod Squad
Yep. I like the on screen caller info as well.

Even though I get my phone from the cable company, I see the numbers on Dish Network subscribed TV. All I had to do was hook the satellite receiver to the phone line.

JoeM

DTVUSA Member
Time Warner's digital phone service is really high quality, especially when compared to other services like Vonage. You really can't tell the difference between a standard phone line and Time Warner. I believe they still offer a discount if you add the third service to the bundle.

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
I have the phone package now with Comcast and had it as well with TW. I never had a problem with the phone unless the power went out. When that happens, your phone indeed goes out too. Other than that I really liked it. The price was great for unlimited local and long distance calls, and fortunately the power didn't go out that much.

I have the phone package now with Comcast and had it as well with TW. I never had a problem with the phone unless the power went out. When that happens, your phone indeed goes out too. Other than that I really liked it. The price was great for unlimited local and long distance calls, and fortunately the power didn't go out that much.
My sister has phone service with Comcast as her landline phone. In the dry season (December to May) it is not a worry for me, but I think it is a bad idea to depend on cable phone service in hurricane season. Last time a 'cane hit Miami directly, some parts of the area were without electricity for weeks. Relying on cells and cable phones or cordless ones is a very bad idea in some parts of the U.S.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I have a Magic Jack on a dedicated old laptop. It's as good as any other VOIP in quality, and costs me under $2 a month.

Tracfone for backup costs me $8 a month.

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
Wow, looks like you are saving quite a bit. I've never heard of Magic Jack but for those prices, I may look into it. If it can save me more while breaking up my package deal with Comcast, then I am all for it.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
A couple things to remember if you want to Magic Jack:

• As with any VOIP, you need reliable internet.
  • It's $40 to buy, comes with one year service. Each year is $20 after that. They have a special, I think its like $70 for 5 years.
  • At present, you can't port you current phone number. You'll get a new one. It won't be in the phonebook (Remember, the phone company charges extra for an unlisted phone. BONUS!) You can list yourself with services like 411.com if you want, though.
  • You can get a number for most area codes. If your grandma lives in Sheboygan, get a number in her area code, and she can call you toll free!
  • You need your computer on at all times. Thats why you would use an old laptop. It consumes little power, and has its own backup power supply good for a couple hours downtime. I figure anything faster than 800 mhz, with 1 GB, a USB port, and xp or better would do.
  • Install it on a clean machine running nothing else. Just a firewall and antvirus (freeware, of course!) and don't use it for anything else.
  • If you loose it or it dies, you'll have to get a new one, and a new phone number (refer to item 3, "can't port your ##")

Extra bonus: Bring it with you wherever you go traveling overseas. You can call the USA and Canada from anywhere in the world if you have broadband. FREE. I've made calls from ASIA - didn't spend a dime!

Some people have had problems with it, but I've installed 3 of them... works like a charm! BUT I don't recommend it for the technologically impaired.

Oh, yea, remember to buy it at locally so you can return it if there's a problem. I get mine at Radio Shack.

Last edited:

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
Ah, that explains quite a lot. Problem is I don't have an old laptop so I would have to use on my current one. Turning it off doesn't bother me too much because I usually turn it off before turning in for the night and I don't really want phone calls after that anyway....emergencies always go to the cell anyways. There are definitely a lot of bonuses there as well though, so it is something to think about!

JoeM

DTVUSA Member
Magic Jack isn't that bad of a deal. I haven't really heard anything about them to be honest. I would guess that the quality is about the same as other VOIP on that aren't on dedicated servers. If the price is right, then why not?