Digital Transition "Study" shows favorable numbers for cable and satellite providers

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Digital Transition "Study" shows favorable numbers for cable and satellite providers

I'd like to know the margin of error on these numbers though the story mentions that these statistics were based on 2,498 telephone interviews between February 2008 and April 2009.

The transition to digital television, now just days away, compelled many households to switch to a pay television service and/or invest in a new HDTV set to get ready. According to new research from Knowledge Networks released Thursday (June 4), 5 percent of households or 5.7 million homes, signed up for a cable or satellite TV service, 8 percent bought a digital or HDTV set and 18 percent said they bought a digital converter.
Source: Study: DTV Transition Good News for Pay TV, HDTV Sellers

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I'd like to know the margin of error on these numbers though the story mentions that these statistics were based on 2,498 telephone interviews between February 2008 and April 2009.

Source: Study: DTV Transition Good News for Pay TV, HDTV Sellers
I believe this is a direct result of the confusion of the consumer along with the media hammering the airwaves with cable commercials. Another thing I noticed was the weekly satellite blitzes. Dish Network and Directv were knocking door to door about every weekend in my neighborhood selling their service. I'd bet the numbers drop off substantially in 2 years when the consumers learn more about OTA DTV and their cable / satellite contracts expire.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Typically, for the United States, a sample of 2,498 people is enough to provide results with a margin of error of 1.96% (about +/- 1%).