Digital Transition = Success

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Boy, I've been scanning the headlines for news stories on DTV for the last month or so and guess what.....Nothing! Ok, there's a few on stations switching from VHF to UHF, but other than that, it's really queit. I was expecting an uproar from people having more problems with reception and or no converter boxes but I was apparently wrong.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, no news = Digital Transition was a success. Prove me wrong. :p

bicker

DTVUSA Member
One of the most common misdirections we seen in our society is the appraisal of someone's or something's actions based on the criteria of the person making the appraisal instead of based on valid criteria.

What makes a set of criteria valid? Valid criteria are either criteria that people explicitly claim that they comply with, or that they implicitly subscribe to. Examples of explicit claims include when job applicants put out resumes, or when companies put out advertisements. Implicit subscription is a bit less obvious: When you live in a society, you implicitly subscribe to the laws of that society. When you join a church, you implicitly subscribe to the precepts of that religious faith. When a company joins a consortium or association, it implicitly subscribes to the explicit and implicit criteria that the consortium or association professes.

Everyone can have an opinion about whether they like something, or whether it satisfies them. However, it is important to note that those are evaluations of the person having that opinion. When you say that you don't like something, it is little different from saying that you've failed to be satisfied (but how many people are willing to view their dissatisfaction in that manner?)

In order to go that extra step and (legitimately) comment on the provider of what you're unhappy or dissatisfied about, you must compare what they did against valid criteria, rather than relying on your own personal preferences and proclivities. And that means setting aside your own personal (negative) bias. That's really hard to do effectively. (There is a science and discipline that serves as a foundation for doing so -- my previous career was based on my expertise in that regard. However, it isn't really rocket science, but it does require a willingness to grant others a measure of consideration that flies in the face of today's rampant curmudgeony.)

How does this map into the subject of this thread? Easily: You're essentially raising two issues: When someone reads the OP, their first thought (if they're human) will be whether or not they're personally happy/satisfied with the DTV transition. The challenge for them will be to see if they can go that extra step, and evaluate the DTV transition based on the objectives of the transition itself, and based on all of those objectives, rather than just the objectives that focus on the elements of satisfaction or dissatisfaction that they themselves personally hold.

The toughest part of it is granting other people/entities the respect and dignity we each expect to receive ourselves, i.e., granting that satisfying their desires may sometimes be a higher priority in the valid criteria and satisfying one's own desires. That's a very tough nut to swallow.

The only appraisals I typically give much credence to are those from folks who say something positive even though their own personal satisfaction was negative, or folks who say something negative even though their own personal satisfaction was positive. Reaching over that line demonstrates the ability to evaluate based on valid criteria instead of having one's judgment clouded by personal bias. While it isn't impossible for someone to have a personal bias in one direction and still reach that same type of conclusion based on valid criteria, it is often not the case.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
so you're saying that the "no news is good news" isn't a credible arguement? I disagree on that part but do agree there are many other valid criteria to judge from as well like:

1. More than 98% of households were ready for the transition by June 12, 2009
2. Coupon program finished on July 31, 2009, and met the needs of the public
3. Reception problems seem to be limited to fringe areas and VHF stations which the FCC is currently persuing.

The intent of my thread was to get people discussing the transition and whether they thought it was a success or failure.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
so you're saying that the "no news is good news" isn't a credible arguement?
No definitely not saying that at all -- I believe that that is indeed the case, but I suspect some may disagree (for the reasons I mentioned).

The intent of my thread was to get people discussing the transition and whether they thought it was a success or failure.
And my point was that I think that that is actually two questions: (1) Whether folks like the effects of the DTV transition -- whether they're personally satisfied with the DTV transition; and (2) Whether folks think that the DTV transition fulfilled its objectives based on its own criteria.
:horse:​

Last edited:

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
No definitely not saying that at all -- I believe that that is indeed the case, but I suspect some may disagree (for the reasons I mentioned).

And my point was that I think that that is actually two questions: (1) Whether folks like the effects of the DTV transition -- whether they're personally satisfied with the DTV transition; and (2) Whether folks think that the DTV transition fulfilled its objectives based on its own criteria.
:horse:​
ok, I see what you mean. :brushteeth:

I was more or less trying to remove my own experience which was a very positive one and based my conclusion on the facts above, though I can't say I could do that if my experience was personally negative. Which goes along with what you're saying. ;) I don't think anyone much cares to discuss the transition anymore anyway...obviously from the lack of response.

Piggie

Super Moderator
There is also the effect people get tired of complaining (or praising) and move on.

More so how can the human experience be boiled down to valid facts? Doesn't this remove the subjective experience of being human?

I think it's a hard nut to swallow because people are not an objective being.