Digital TV and HDTV?

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Digital TV is a way of delivering television to your TV. HDTV refers to the resolution of the image on your screen. "Standard Definition" is 480i, or 480 lines. 720 or 1080 lines are considered HD.

A little more ... "HD" stands for "High Definition," in case that got past ya. Like MrP said, it refers to the number of dots (pixels) on your screen horizontally and vertically, which line up neatly into lines. Every pixel is individually controlled, so there's no such thing as HD, as the term is applied today, in a non-digital (aka "analog") display.

The old TV antennas used for analog signals normally work OK for digital signals, including HD. There's no such thing as an "HD antenna," even though every antenna manufacturer puts HD somewhere in some antenna name(s). It's pure marketing hype.

R.

High Definition is the resolution of the picture on your screen. It is significantly higher than standard definition tv. HDTV broadcasts in 720p, 1080i and 1080p. P stands for progressive and i stands for interlaced.

Here's the bigger question for those who remember the "pre-digital" OTA broadcast in the States....do you prefer the "On/Off" nature of OTA now that we are digital, or being able to get a "partial" reception of a station far, far away that you could rationalize watching :) I seem to miss that time growing up in a non-cable house ! (First time I had cable was at the age of 23 btw...)

dkreichen1968

Staff member
I think that for most of us digital television simply made viewing television more enjoyable. Much better picture quality, and if you know what your doing, much better reception. No more snow!!!

I think that for most of us digital television simply made viewing television more enjoyable. Much better picture quality, and if you know what your doing, much better reception. No more snow!!!
Fully agree.

Personally spent a lot of time on rooftops, adjusting antennas to minimize snow, and trying to get the best image without "ghosts" (due to reflections).

scalabis