Digital TV missing channels

I bought a new HDTV 19" Tosihba with built in DVD player a few weeks before the switch so I would not have to mess with a converter box. The TV I had was just fine but didn't want another box. I also have a 9 year old hooked up to a digital vcr/dvd recorder with digital turner, getting all the stations great. Have a 6 year old hooked up to a converter, getting all the stations. The problem is the brand new TV, cannot get channel 2,4-5 (in Los Angeles area)Gets the digital station 7-9-11-13 just great. Went back to Best Buy no one could answer my questions as to why a brand new TV won't work. They sold me an RCA flat antenna with amplyfier and assured me it would do the trick. Well, it didn't so took it back. Very frustrated and decided to hook the second converter box to see what happens. Well, I now get all the channels no problem. Now deciding if I should take the TV back. If I have to use the converter I might as well have kept my old 13' with built in VCR. I have two roof top antenna approx. 8 or more years old. Any ideas out there as to why my Brand new TV has to have a converter box? The instructions on the TV says it has a built in digital turner. Any suggestions.

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
Thanks for stopping by, riley! I have a sneaking suspicion an internal setting in the Toshiba might be at issue. TV makers know that probably four out of five buyers will connect their new HDTVs to cable TV or satellite service. Therefore, most come out of the box set to "cable" by default. I must confess I'm not familiar with Toshibas, but somewhere in your receiver's setup menus, there is a dialog for selecting the signal source -- either "Cable" or, for antenna reception, "Air," "Antenna," Terrestrial," "OTA," "Broadcast," or some such. Follow the instruction manual that came with the TV to change this setting. If you change it, be sure to re-scan for channels, OK? I'm betting that takes care of it. Be sure to follow up and let us know.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I bought a new HDTV 19" Tosihba with built in DVD player a few weeks before the switch so I would not have to mess with a converter box. The TV I had was just fine but didn't want another box. I also have a 9 year old hooked up to a digital vcr/dvd recorder with digital turner, getting all the stations great. Have a 6 year old hooked up to a converter, getting all the stations. The problem is the brand new TV, cannot get channel 2,4-5 (in Los Angeles area)Gets the digital station 7-9-11-13 just great. Went back to Best Buy no one could answer my questions as to why a brand new TV won't work. They sold me an RCA flat antenna with amplyfier and assured me it would do the trick. Well, it didn't so took it back. Very frustrated and decided to hook the second converter box to see what happens. Well, I now get all the channels no problem. Now deciding if I should take the TV back. If I have to use the converter I might as well have kept my old 13' with built in VCR. I have two roof top antenna approx. 8 or more years old. Any ideas out there as to why my Brand new TV has to have a converter box? The instructions on the TV says it has a built in digital turner. Any suggestions.
1riley756, Welcome to the DTVUSA Forum. I would agree with Don on this. You need to go into the setup menu and change the digital tuner to antenna. This will shift the frequencies where you will receive the missing channels. When you change the tuner from cable to antenna make sure to rescan for the channels. Good Luck!!

One Big Thank-you

THANK-YOU THANK-YOU THANK-YOU to Don M and 1inxs, IT WORKED, unbelieveable!! Best Buy couldn't help me, even an expert from JustAsk couldn't help me, he gave me a bunch of gibberish about the antenna I didn't understand. I went through my manual for the TV and found the part where it said "Cable" and "Air" which I had seen before but I didn't know it had the "air" part in it. When I clicked on Cable it wouldn't do anything and I never saw the Air part. I kept playing with it and lo and behold there was the Air choice so I rescanned the stations again and I now have 83 digital stations with my 2,4 and 5 and it is hooked up to my old antenna which I never had to adjust and I took the convertor box off. I cannot tell you how happy I am right now. The picture is beautiful, and now I love the TV which I was about ready to take back. I'm so happy I think I have decided to buy another new TV to replace a 6 year old one that has a built in DVD and VCR (the VCR hasn't worked in about a year) and connected to a converter box. I was afraid to get another TV fearing it wouldn't work either and would have to connect it to a C Box but thanks to the two of you I know what to do. Again you have made my day, thanks for help and quick response. Especially answering in plain english that I knew excatly what you both were saying and was able to fix the problem without all the technical talk.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
THANK-YOU THANK-YOU THANK-YOU to Don M and 1inxs, IT WORKED, unbelieveable!! Best Buy couldn't help me, even an expert from JustAsk couldn't help me, he gave me a bunch of gibberish about the antenna I didn't understand. I went through my manual for the TV and found the part where it said "Cable" and "Air" which I had seen before but I didn't know it had the "air" part in it. When I clicked on Cable it wouldn't do anything and I never saw the Air part. I kept playing with it and lo and behold there was the Air choice so I rescanned the stations again and I now have 83 digital stations with my 2,4 and 5 and it is hooked up to my old antenna which I never had to adjust and I took the convertor box off. I cannot tell you how happy I am right now. The picture is beautiful, and now I love the TV which I was about ready to take back. I'm so happy I think I have decided to buy another new TV to replace a 6 year old one that has a built in DVD and VCR (the VCR hasn't worked in about a year) and connected to a converter box. I was afraid to get another TV fearing it wouldn't work either and would have to connect it to a C Box but thanks to the two of you I know what to do. Again you have made my day, thanks for help and quick response. Especially answering in plain english that I knew excatly what you both were saying and was able to fix the problem without all the technical talk.
Thanks for coming back and updating us Riley.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I really appreciate your kind words. You are quite welcome. I'm glad you have a success story after the DTV transition. Enjoy your crystal clear OTA DTV and enjoy the DTVUSA Forum.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Great results! And thanks for using us to solve your problem.

Though not involved in this help session, and not to brag but there is a reason we have answers. Am am a semi retired Broadcast Engineer, and others here with years of experience with antennas. Many others that have picked up the gist of antennas and DTV.

Where at so many stores and commercial help sites, the train people in a 4 hour script reading school. You can't replace real experience.

P

PwinderGuest

Don's question and complaint was mine. just went and went further with my answer search. it worked. your answer to Don really worked! can you suggest how I can get my pbs station, haven't seen it since digital was instituted. thank you