digital vcr recorders

dick cory

DTVUSA Rookie
Are there digital vcr recorders. In other words, a vcr with a digital tuner so I wont need a converter box and can again program several different programs for the week.

Also, I would like to convert from vcr to digital. Can any one recogmend one with a digital tuner?

Thanks

Dick

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Are there digital vcr recorders. In other words, a vcr with a digital tuner so I wont need a converter box and can again program several different programs for the week.

Also, I would like to convert from vcr to digital. Can any one recogmend one with a digital tuner?

Thanks

Dick
Welcome to the DTVUSA Forum. Here is a nice DVD/VCR combo with the ATSC tuner included eCOST.com-JVC DVD Recorder+VCR 1080p Combo with ATSC/NTSC TV Tuner - DRMV100B - JVC DRMV100B (DVD Players & Recorders) - eCOST.com - electronics, computers, laptops, mp3 players. You wouldn't need a CECB to watch OTA DTV TV signals with this DVD/VCR combo. It's a progressive scan DVD player which upconverts your SD DVDs, for a better picture. You can also convert from VCR to DVD media. I believe the only way to record OTA DTV signals with a VCR, is to use a CECB to convert the DTV signal to analog. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think there is a VCR for recording from the built in ATSC tuner. I haven't been able to find one. A way to record to the old VCR is to connect it to a CECB with a built in 7 day VCR timer. The Dish Network DTVPal Plus is a good one for this. It also includes a very good on screen program guide. I would recommend purchasing a Dish Network DTVPal DVR. DTVPal by DISH Network DVR unit includes an ATSC tuner and will record a HD signal. It includes component outputs for connection to an HDTV. For $249.00 The Dish Network DVR will accomplish everything you're wanting to do.

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
I believe the only way to record OTA DTV signals with a VCR, is to use a CECB to convert the DTV signal to analog. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think there is a VCR for recording from the built in ATSC tuner. I haven't been able to find one.
I don't believe they exist, either. Videotape will forever remain an analog format. One way to use a combo VCR/DVD recorder in the traditional way is to get a model capable of recording and reading DVD-RAM discs, particularly those enclosed in a cartridge. DVD-RAMs may be used in much the same way as videotapes. The only significant difference is that previous recordings must be deleted by on-screen command -- one can't simply record over an old show. Standard-play speed yields DVD-quality video for up to 2 hours. If picture quality isn't critical, a RAM disc can record up to 8 hours' worth of programming.

DVD-RAMs are relatively pricey. A double-sided disc cartridge (total 4 - 16 hours) costs about $15. However, they have a design life of 100,000 recordings; for most people, that's much longer than any machine is likely to last!

divxhacker

DTVUSA Member
You haven't looked at the Panasonic DMR-EZ48. Two versions exist: Region 1 locked, and region unlocked. We got ours from Circuit City a few months before the company went under. This place has the Region 1 locked versionhttp://www.wegotbetterdeals.com/panasonic-dmrez48vk-dvdvcr-player-recorder-with-free-hdmi-cable-refurbished--p-1324.html

The Panasonic DMR-EZ48 is built with the Dreambox satellite tuner logic board which handles analog NTSC, cable QAM, and digital ATSC signals. It has a nice set of input/output solutions, DV, too. It has SDCard and USB connectors to access, and copy to DVD, pictures from your camera. The DMR-EZ48 also allows you play movies you buy and download through DivX Video On Demand - it gives you a cryptkey to use when shopping for a download.

I'll do a full review on it, when I get a round tuit...

Last edited: