Review: Digiwave ANT-7288 Adjustable Eight Bay UHF HDTV Antenna - just installed

krkr

DTVUSA Rookie
Hi, I just thought I would offer a review of the Digiwave ANT-7288 Adjustable Eight Bay UHF HDTV Antenna which I just installed on my girlfriends rooftop. The location is in Whitby, Ontario near Dundas and Brock Street. I placed it on a 10 ft pole strapped to the side of the chimney. The homes are all bungalows in the area and there are no nearby obstructions. I pointed one side of the antenna towards the CN tower and the other half of the antenna towards Colden, NY. (233 degrees/168 degrees respectively with my compass set for 11 degrees declination). I have not even tried any fine tuning of the antenna positions yet. The RG6 coax length from the antenna into the home is about 35 ft long. I hooked it into a Channel Master 7777 preamp (with the junction box part mounted on the pole), then made about a 10 ft run into a Digiwave Electronic Master DTV-5000 Converter Box and a 6 ft run from the converter box to an analogue tv. First, I tried it without the preamp (cable ran directly from antenna to converter box) and got 16 digital channels and a few watchable VHF channels. A few digital channels had a bit of drop-off. I then hooked up the preamp and got 21 solid digital channels. The weather was a bit cold and overcast at about 3:00 in the afternoon (dec 18, 2010). I suspect that during better weather conditions she should be able to pull in a few more stations. I tried the stations again late in the evening when it was colder and they were all still holding strong. My girlfriend is very happy and I am suprised I did not run into any problems that people seem to have with hooking up two antennas. This is basically 2 four bay antennas mounted side by side on a bracket that you can adjust the direction of the two antennas. The 2 antennas are joined with a 2 into 1 splitter that comes mounted to the antenna bracket. I know people say not to use a preamp with a short cable run but in my 2 experiences with this setup and another setup (a single 4221 antenna with a cm7778 preamp at my place run straight to my hdtv in Scarborough at Kingston rd/Warden Ave) with only a 20 ft cable run, the preamp pulls in many extra stations than without the preamp and the signals are more solid. I also tried using the DTV-5000 Converter Box hooked up to my HDTV (while using the preamp as well) and a few stations that were hard to get in bad weather were pulled in by the tuner box better than my hdtv tuner could. I would definitley consider using a digiwave 7288 again.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: kkkrr,

Thank you for the review of this unusual antenna. Would you mind posting the TV Fool report so we can "see" the relative distances, anticipated signal strengths and directions to the towers your girlfriend is receiving? A list of received channels would help as well.

I have a customer north of Seattle that receives his channels (mainly) from two antenna farms, but he has to rotate his antenna. He is located in a zone that receives a lot of wind and if he could use a single antenna without a rotor it would simplify the guy wires he has yet to install. Thanks.

Jim

krkr

DTVUSA Rookie
TV Fool Report - Whitby, Ontario Dundas / Brock St

:welcome: kkkrr,

Thank you for the review of this unusual antenna. Would you mind posting the TV Fool report so we can "see" the relative distances, anticipated signal strengths and directions to the towers your girlfriend is receiving? A list of received channels would help as well.
Jim
No problem Jim,

This is the link to the TV Fool Report:
TV Fool

She is currently recieving the following channels:
2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 4-1, 5-1, 7-1, 9-1, 11-1, 17-1, 17-2, 17-3, 23-1, 25-1, 36-1, 41-1, 44-1, 49-1, 49-2, 57-1, 64-1, 66-1

Thanks Jim for letting me know about TV Fool, It is really great, I didn't know about this.

Last edited:

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
kkkrrr,

Thanks for the additional information. In the past had you tried other antennas in the same location and if so, what type/s were they and how much did the ANT-7288 improve reception?

Jim

krkr

DTVUSA Rookie
digiwave 7288 antenna

I never tried using another antenna, this was the first attempt and it was recomended to me by a guy at Durham Radio in Whitby. I was going to try and gang 2 cm4221's or 2 cm4228's together until he recommended this antenna to me. Durham Radio uses the digiwave 7288 on top of the roof of thier industrial unit so I thought I would try it since they had success with it. I wasn't crazy about the idea of ganging a couple of CM's together since I heard of all kinds of problems doing that and this seemed like a much easier way. Although I hadn't seen any reviews of anyone using this antenna, I took a chance anyway and found it was easy to setup using the adjustable bracket.
Before I started, I looked at the antenna tower map and decided the best starting point for the direction of the 2 antennas. I found that the angle of the anttenas should be about 115 degrees to each other so I used a protractor and made a cardboard template with 115 degrees. I used that to adjust the antennas before erecting it and I believed that saved me alot of time.

Last edited:

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Thanks for the review. I think this is a unique antenna system for unique situations. For someone with all channels in one diection, it would be better to use a different 8 bay or even a good 4 bay (Like EV's Kosmic Super Quad). At 180 degrees opposite, there are better solutions, also (4/8 bay with no screen, etc.) In between these, this antenna is a good option.