direct tv/Amazon scam - DirecTV

On Oct. 6, 2016 I was contacted by an Indian sounding person from 1-888-762-3896 saying he was with Direct TV.
Long story short he was offering me reduced monthly rates on my Direct TV bill and I would get premium channels, and NFL Sundays for 2 years. Said it was a promotion with Direct TV and Amazon. They were promoting Amazon Gift Cards and if I paid 5 months up front with an Amazon gift card within in 24 hours I would receive a $100 Visa gift card as well.
Originally I agreed, his supervisor came on line to record and verify the agreement.
I was given, what he said was the billing department for Direct TV (1-888-407-3735) and an authorization code to use when I called after purchasing the Amazon gift card.
I got on line and contacted AT&T at 1-800-531-5000 since I am bundled with them. The girl in billing assured me this was a scam, but she had never heard of it before. I suggested she contact her supervisor or someone.
I got on line and searched Direct TV/Amazon scams and found this scam had been going on since February!
Why does Direct TV / AT&T not notify their customer and employees of this scam?
This scam is well implemented, to good to be true or not! Get off you butts and inform your customers!

G

Direct tv scam back april 27 2017

Yesterday we received a phone call which my husband answered and then told me about this great deal and I told him to please check it out! Well nfever takes my guy any financial issues etc.

I am very irritated that he felt for this scam and purchased a300.00 dollar Amazon gift card! Which he then called the fake representative (which claimed to be FROM DIRECT TV on April 27, 2017)!

Do not I told my husband to pay this man anything to research call directly to the company but he didn't!

G

I received the call on June 2, 2017, and it showed up on my caller ID at 800-531-5000, which is the same phone number that is listed on my bill. I then called DirecTV back and asked for billing department, spoke with woman with Indian-accent and she confirmed it was a valid promotion. I even plainly asked her that I want to make sure this is not a scam. Now, DirecTV claims it is not their problem. I plan to make it their problem.

G

FYI - The same scam is going on today. Same story as above. Request for $310 in advance. The contact numbers showing up on my phone that they are supposedly calling from actual do go to AT&T which leads me to believe that they have hacked in the AT&T lines to make this happen. I too wonder why AT&T or DirecTV have not warned their customers. I will be on every site I can to warn everyone I can to this scam. 6/13/2017

G

Amazon gift card scam

Just got a call from the same DTV number 800-531-5000. Buy an amazon gift card, load it up with 4 months up front ($320), call back and give them the card number and the promotion begins (Premiums, NFL, all my existing channels for only $79 for 24 months plus $100 VISA card given to me). However, I have to go to store and get an amazon card and load it up with $320, call a DIFFERENT number back 888-489-5730 and give them the card and promo number. I called the 489-5730 number right back , got a DTV voice prompt..very convincing..and got Kevin who said it was legit. I called the 531-5000 number back and was told it was a scam. They must use a computer to change the incoming number on your phone to appear to be DTV. I called the 489-5730 number back and got the EXACT same guy "Kevin". I let him have it. He was trying to tell me they are a 3rd party and ATT/DTV sales associates wouldn't know about the promo. I told him they were on to him and he was full of crap then hung up on him. DON'T FALL FOR IT!!! IF IT"S TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT IS.

G

Same deal. Called my local AT&T store and they said they have no agreements with third party service providers, in this case Amazon. Can't wait for them to call me back in 20 minutes and waste their time. Really pissed they they knew by my first name. My tech savvy son says this is the beginning of the end with net neutrality out the window.

G

I got a call today from the same scammers (sounded like they were in India) - they called multiple times today. I asked questions after they gave me their info - $59.99 to keep my same package. They even had my Direct TV account number! I ended up hanging up on them after they transferred me to a "supervisor" to get my promotion code and phone number to call back with the Amazon card number. The number on my caller ID was 1-800-531-8000 (same as number on my bill). I waited a while and called the number back and got the real Direct TV folks (in the Phillipines!)It didn't make sense to me that the Amazon card would be a valid form of payment for the bill because it's not a listed payment method anywhere! The actual representative checked and said their last promo with Amazon ended 12/31/16 and it was them giving customers a gift card, if I remember correctly. So yeah, if you get a call and it's too good to be true - let it go and report it to your attorney general's office!

G

Direct TV Scam

Well this is still going on as of July 24, 2017. They called me 10 times yesterday July 24, 2017 from Direct tv phone number 800-531-5000. Said it was a partnership promotion with Amazon. If I paid 3 months that day before 9 pm with an Amazon Gift Card that for 24 months my direct tv bill would be $99.95 aand they would send me a $100 gift card. They gave my a promotion code to use when paying to makeit all sound official. They then told me to call888-235-2085 to pay the $300. I googled this an found that it is a scam. This morning at 10AM I received yet another call from t hem asking if I had paid the $300 yet, that they could extend the promotional opportunity. I told them I knew it was a scam and they continued to stay on the phone and asked if I wanted to speak with a supervisor. They asked me why I thought it was a scam. I told them I had done my research and that I had called Direct TV and they said Direct TV wouldn't know about the promotion because it was through Amazon....yeah...right. I then just hung up.
Then I called Direct TV and the rep that I spoke with had never heard of such a scam, but after a 10 minute hold time he returned to say that yes, it was a scam. Direct TV/ATT need to warn their customers about this...it sounds very legit and many people could actually fall for it. I think I am going back with dish since direct tv/Att think no more of my personal info than to let this happen with no concern.

G

They almost got me too. It is so convincing. If it wasn't because I purchased a reload card and not a gift card they would have got me too. I want to thank Roger with Amazon he alerted me to it being a SCAM and saved the day.

G

Direct TV/Amazon SCAM

Just got this call too. Same deal with the amazon gift card/pay in advance/etc. Wow. I called direct tv to verify this and the rep tried to offer me some other promo since “that one was not available”, wasn’t till I did an internet search that I was informed it was a scam. I mean I felt it was fishy when the Indian sounding scam caller said his name was “Michael Jones”. Right...

Also, phone number they called from was same as DTV, 18005315000! Maybe it’s one of the DTV employees in the call center over there?

G

This just happened to me today. I was given the same information about the prepaid Amazon gift card, upgraded channels and that they would send me a $200 Visa gift card within 2-3 business days. They also provided me with the promo code and special billing number. They also knew my address and my current DirecTV package/pricing. After doing a bit of research, I called DirecTV to report it as a scam and the billing department representative confirmed that the 800 number was a DirecTV number, that they did have a promotion with Amazon and that the call was from their sales department. When I asked to speak to a member of the sales department to confirm this again was not a scam, I placed on an extended hold. What the heck!!!