direct tv new customer with questions

trish

DTVUSA Rookie
I have used comcast for 20 years and our area had a bad hurricane and my cable was pulled from pole, well because of pole being in neighbors yard and always having hard time in getting in the yard I have decided to try direct tv..
I was told my direct tv equipment will be all on my property and will not have to worry about access to other yard. Someone told me that they will still hook up on neighbors pole.
Please can someone help me with this question, I really was hoping to have everything on my property.

Thanks for your time
Trish

Sparks

DTVUSA Member
Location for satellite dish

I am afraid that I do not understand your question. I take it that Comcast is a cable company and you left them and have subscribed or you are about to subscribe to Directv. I also understand that they are going to put your directv dish on your neighbors property.

With that much information I do not understand why they would want to place the dish on a neighbors property. Is this because of tall trees or buildings that would not allow a line of sight from the dish to the satellites?

I would think that Directv or Dish Network would put the dish wherever you want that is practical. The dish could be mounted to the side of your house. It can even be placed on the roof of your house. Kind of hard to get to it to clear off the snow. Since you are in a place where there is hurricanes you probably do not have much snow if any.

Please provide a little more information about your location, obstacles, terrain, trees and so on. I will be happy to help you if if I can, once I understand the situation or reason for the problem.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I have used comcast for 20 years and our area had a bad hurricane and my cable was pulled from pole, well because of pole being in neighbors yard and always having hard time in getting in the yard I have decided to try direct tv..
I was told my direct tv equipment will be all on my property and will not have to worry about access to other yard. Someone told me that they will still hook up on neighbors pole.
Please can someone help me with this question, I really was hoping to have everything on my property.

Thanks for your time
Trish
Hi Trish, I think you'll be fine with DirecTV.

The installer of your DirecTV system will not mount the dish to your neighbors cable TV "pole". You can actually suggest to the installer where you would like the dish mounted (ie: side of the house, roof, etc.). The cabling will run straight into your house, so there should be no reason for the installer to put any equipment outside of your property line.

I'm actually a little confused too on the Comcast cable pole, were you sharing cable with the neighbors? :)

acwriter

DTVUSA Member
They wouldn't be able to put it on your neighbors property without their permission. I have had Direct TV for about 10 years. For Standard definition they were able to put my miniature satellite dish on my back balcony. However, when I wanted to upgrade to HD I was told by both Dish TV and Direct TV that they would not be able to use that one for the HD. Apparently, HD requires access to more open sky and more satellites than standard definition.

We ended staying with Direct TV, even though I investigated both Dish TV and Comcast. We even tried Comcast for a few days and didn't like it. Anyway, Direct TV ended up putting up a pole in my front yard in front of the trees. It doesn't look bad at all. The pole with the dish on it is about 5 feet tall. We live on a major highway, so I was concerned with appearances. I am very happy with my Direct TV HD.

trish

DTVUSA Rookie
Thanks for the replies,
I am sorry I probably worded everything kinda crazy.
Where I live in Texas when you have Comcast cable you have 1-pole and 4 house are connected on that one pole. That pole is in my neighbors yard, so every time I have a problem it is such a hassle because she has big dogs and when she is not there well I am out of luck... so since this last hurricane Ike, I have been with out cable for over a month.
So I have decided to give direct tv a try, and was told all the equipment will be on my property, so I hope this is this case.
Tomorrow it will be installed I hope I like it, comcast cable was good except for sharing poles and repairs.

Thanks
Trish

Thanks for the replies,
I am sorry I probably worded everything kinda crazy.
Where I live in Texas when you have Comcast cable you have 1-pole and 4 house are connected on that one pole. That pole is in my neighbors yard, so every time I have a problem it is such a hassle because she has big dogs and when she is not there well I am out of luck... so since this last hurricane Ike, I have been with out cable for over a month.
So I have decided to give direct tv a try, and was told all the equipment will be on my property, so I hope this is this case.
Tomorrow it will be installed I hope I like it, comcast cable was good except for sharing poles and repairs.

Thanks
Trish
Trish, a few of my family members have Direct TV (and most of them live just outside the Ft. Worth area), and absolutely love it. The one thing you have to watch for is to make sure you're getting thebest deal you possibly can with them, check the net for the best offers and talk to them on the phone because a lot of times, they won't offer the best deal unless you ask for it.

Yeah with DirecTV they HAVE to have it on your property. I live in an apartment and they put my satelite actually on my balcony. They could probably put the satelite off of your house. I think ComCast did that pole thin to make it easier and cheaper for them. In FL we get hurricanes a lot and I've never had a problem with my satelite other than it flickering on and off which is expected during a hurricane.

You can tell the installer where you would prefer to have the dish installed. They should abide by your wishes as long as they can get a signal in that area. If you have a lot of tall trees you might have limited areas to put the dish in but otherwise you should be ok.
I will not allow them to put a dish on my house as those seem to be more prone to getting hit by lightening. I have mine on a pole in the ground.