Direct Tv Spotbeam

eaduke

DTVUSA Rookie
I have a question what spotbeams for Direct TV cover West Virginia? I'm in the western part of the state but I can't figure it out on the maps.

eaduke

DTVUSA Rookie
I actually do not have Direct tv yet. I'm in zip 26101 with locals not available. I'm wanting to know if I could pick up locals out of Washington,D.C. or maybe Roanoke,Va possibly? I'm not sure if those spotbeams would be viewable from here ?

TVTom51

DTVUSA Member
I actually do not have Direct tv yet. I'm in zip 26101 with locals not available. I'm wanting to know if I could pick up locals out of Washington,D.C. or maybe Roanoke,Va possibly? I'm not sure if those spotbeams would be viewable from here ?
These are the only two links I know of for spotbeam maps online. Not sure how accurate they are either:

DTV Spots Map (Not updated since 10/14/2006)

Spotbeam Satellites (Not really sure how accurate this one is)

Piggie

Super Moderator
If you are talking about legally receiving DirecTV, they you will receive locals if they are available for your DMA. It's not in the FCC rules to give you a choice of which town's locals you receive.

O-O

DTVUSA Member
If you are talking about legally receiving DirecTV, they you will receive locals if they are available for your DMA. It's not in the FCC rules to give you a choice of which town's locals you receive.
Though some people do break the rules and pick up other spotbeams. Piggie, do you have any experience with spotbeam reception?

Though some people do break the rules and pick up other spotbeams. Piggie, do you have any experience with spotbeam reception?
Thanks. I am new here too, and my question seems to be relative to this above..... I am temporarily moving to a new part of the country and want to receive their local channels. I want their local ABC, CBS, Fox, and NBC, etc.
I have changed my address to my new one, both online in my DirecTV account and over the phone with them (their local Filipino rep).

But now when I try and go to the new locals, it shows them on my guide, but they won't tune in. I get the SEARCHING FOR SATELLITE SIGNAL.... (771) error..... even though it is showing on the guide and info that it is correct, in fact, my local channels. I need to get my primetime channels, and strongly prefer it be the ones I am staying at, whether it is for 2 months, 5, 6, etc.... shouldn't that be able to work?

Do I need to adjust some settings?
What does spot beam mean anyway?
Is this doable on my end?