DirecTV-Dish ask US lawmakers for rural incentives

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
WASHINGTON, Feb 24 (Reuters) - The right incentives would make satellite television companies willing to extend local service to underserved and rural areas, senior executives of DISH Network Corp (DISH.O) and DirecTV Group Inc (DTV.O) told lawmakers on Tuesday.

The U.S. Congress is debating renewal of a law that gives the two national satellite television companies the right to carry and retransmit broadcast television programming.
DISH Network CEO Charles Ergen told a subcommittee hearing that DISH is willing to provide that local programming if it gets help to pay for technical fixes needed for retransmission.
Source: DirecTV, DISH ask US lawmakers for rural incentives | Reuters

When your business model isn't strong enough to stay competitive (with other U.S. companies) without government help...bah... :confused:

bicker

DTVUSA Member
I'm torn about this one. It isn't that DISH network needs government assistance to stay in business. Rather they want the assistance to support an otherwise unfunded mandate. By the same token, it is the same unfunded mandate that the cable companies have to comply with, so fair is fair.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
I'm torn about this one. It isn't that DISH network needs government assistance to stay in business. Rather they want the assistance to support an otherwise unfunded mandate. By the same token, it is the same unfunded mandate that the cable companies have to comply with, so fair is fair.
Exactly, and I think the biggest problem that I see with this, is that these satellite companies have had an unfair advantage all along over cable companies who have had to comply and provide local programming.

In a time when a lot of American companies are asking for assistance from the Government to keep a large workforce employed, something like this kind of rubs me the wrong way...especially after DirecTV just announced another rate hike.

my bill keeps going up but I get no new programming with dish and they give the extras in the packages to new customers but not the ones that have been with them for years.:confused: