DirecTV Promise

U

Unregistered

Why is DirecTV allowing channels to disappear from their lineup? Nickelodeon, MTV, VH1, BET, CMT, TV Land, Comedy Central, Spike are a lot of channels to remove and yet still bill me the same for the month? Am I going to get a credit at least?

I hate to tell you this. It's just going to get worse, and worse, and WORSE!!!

Oh, it might get better for a month or three at a time, but just watch. Over the next 5-10 years, the cable/satellite companies are coming DOWN. If you're smart, you'll desert the ship. The rats have been running this cruise from the very beginning.

R.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Quick Resolution Not Likely in DirecTV Viacom Dispute

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) - As one of the largest cable blackouts in the industry's history continues, analysts say they're not holding their breath for a quick resolution. Both sides have too much at stake in a fight affecting 20 million DirecTV customers.

Many industry watchers think Viacom will get some of the fee increase it's seeking, but not without a protracted battle -- and no one has any real sense of how long this could last. Cable skirmishes are common, but this one is a clash of titans, with both sides digging in hard.

Nomura's analysts believe that Viacom will ultimately get a fee hike of around 27% -- almost in line with the 30% boost that DirecTV says Viacom is requesting.

That would take DirecTV's monthly fee per Viacom subscriber to $2.85, by Nomura's estimates. That's still a slight break on the $3 average per-subscriber fee that Nomura thinks Viacom is getting from its affiliates.

The hike Nomura is forecasting would translate to roughly 60 cents per subscriber each month -- which squares with Viacom's statement that its proposed increase totals "a couple of pennies per day per subscriber."

The problem for DirecTV is that it can't easily recoup those higher costs by passing the increase on to its customers.

"It's hard for [DirecTV] to raise their prices much more than 3% to 4%, because the economy's bad and people's salaries are going up 1%," says Rich Tullo, a senior analyst at Albert Fried. "It's just not going to fly. Really, that's the issue at play."

Read more: DirecTV, Viacom dispute update: Quick resolution not likely in fight affecting 20 million customers

G

I want to know how much reduction in my bill for the loss of 26 channels lost. If no reduction then direct tv is in breach of contract which renders the contract between direct tv and subscriber null and void

G

cancellation of local channel

We went to DirecTV to get more sports channels. Now they are cancelling our local cbs - there is no reason to stay with them when they take away important local channels !

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
We went to DirecTV to get more sports channels. Now they are cancelling our local cbs - there is no reason to stay with them when they take away important local channels !
You can probably get your local CBS channel with an antenna - and many more local channels, also.

For Free.

U

Unregistered

Losing channels

So if I am losing my CBS, why can't you just switch me over to a different affiliate? And your answer is to buy an antenna?

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
So if I am losing my CBS, why can't you just switch me over to a different affiliate? And your answer is to buy an antenna?
There are rules that dictate what DirecTV can do. DirecTV can give you your LOCAL CBS affiliate only. They aren't allowed to beam you an affiliate from a city many miles away. Of course, you could always try to fight the FCC, networks, media conglomerates and cable systems to change the rules to allow your pay TV provider to just switch you to an out-of-market network affiliate when this happens.

Good luck with that.
It's easier and cheaper to get an antenna.

Buying an antenna is a GREAT answer. Not only does it keep you from losing your local channels, but it provides a better picture as well. It's really easy to set up for both pay TV and antenna TV: Satellite or cable box plugs into an HDMI port, and plug the antenna into the coax "antenna in". With a click of the remote, you're watching CBS again.

It's not just a great answer. It's really your ONLY answer.

Last edited:
J

Jannie akin

I'm going with Apple TV. I switched to direct from dish because they dropped cbs. I'm not playing these games. Poor business plan with no regard for cus

G

You are taking away my local CBS and CW channels! CS is the channel we watch the most. I hate to say this, but if you do this I will have to get cable instead. I don't like cable much, but I will have no choice.