DirecTV with converter box for local programming help

JudyPryor

DTVUSA Rookie
Now I have an old tv and must have antennae to receive KTEN and KXII. If I purchase a new tv w/High Definition and I currently have DIRECTV satelite which does not offer the above local channels, do I still need my antennae to receive the local channels? AND do I need the converter box to receive local channels named above.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
If you're in a place where DirecTV is not providing local channels, you will still need to use an antenna to receive your local channels.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
If you're using an OLD (anything before 2007) the odds are that yes, you will need a converter box. If you are using a TV manufactured after 2007, then just the antenna should work.

Piggie

Super Moderator
If you're using an OLD (anything before 2007) the odds are that yes, you will need a converter box. If you are using a TV manufactured after 2007, then just the antenna should work.
Also some of the DirecTV boxes have digital OTA tuners built in. Most of them are not that good.

The best solution if the TV doesn't have a built in DTV tuner and is not high definition is to just buy an off the shelf converter box like a DTVPal plus at SolidSignal.com online or Insignia box at Best Buy in a store.

I personaly have the directv with built in ota tuner and a dvr plus with a am21 ota tuner they both work good for recording movies and tv series but one main problem you will find out is the antenna they provide is a pos round omnidirectional antenna that will not pick the low and high vhf channels like NBC at least in my area so I got a Winegard's HD-7084p that EscapeVelocity and don m told me would be good just ordered it yesturday so will keep you posted on how it works for me but your location is different and might not need that exact antenna but wg and channel master seem to be the best ones i've found but overall if I can get nbc to work on my directv dvr's I will be happy and stay with directv otherwise off to dishnetwork i go