Dish Network to Offer $20 12 Channel Internet TV Service

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Dish Network Corp. (DISH) plans to unveil the first major online television service from a cable or satellite company, a $20-a-month set of 12 channels that targets U.S. customers who don’t want to pay for larger, more expensive TV packages.

Called Sling TV, the service will offer live feeds of sports, news and scripted shows on TVs, computers and mobile devices. Walt Disney Co.’s ESPN, Time Warner Inc. (TWX)’s TNT and CNN and others have agreed to supply cable channels...

Live channels also include TBS, HGTV, Cartoon Network and Disney Channel. The package does not include a single broadcast network or the most-watched cable news channel, Fox News. The company is exploring additional programming packages and possibly a free or low-cost package funded through advertising, Dish Chief Executive Officer Joseph Clayton said in an interview last month in New York.

Dish, based in Englewood, Colorado, will limit viewing of Sling TV to one screen at a time and says the service will work best on Amazon Fire TV, Google Nexus Player, Roku, Xbox One, Macs and PCs. Dish also says some mobile devices running on supported versions of Apple iOS and Google Android will work with the service.
Read More: Dish Starts $20-a-Month Streaming TV With ESPN, TNT - Bloomberg

For those who must have ESPN, this looks like possibly a good low cost alternative. It proves that the market is changing, and that anti-free broadcast TV propaganda propagated by people such as Liar and Chief of the Consumer Electronics Association Gary Shapiro is simply lies. The existence of free broadcast television is what can and will keep pay-tv prices in check, and doing away with broadcast television isn't in the best interest of the American people, or, for that matter, CEA.

Jim1348

DTVUSA Member
I saw that, too. On the one hand, that is a reasonable price, but on the other hand it is only 12 channels. I think the real story is, or at least will be, how many other channels will be available this way in the future and at what cost. I currently have a great rat on DISH through April, but I am continuing to watch and see what is available, in case I cut the cord then. My sons could care less about DISH. It is more for my wife and I. And with Netflix, and other things, via Roku, she might not even miss it that much. I might just buy a used TiVo Premiere for recording OTA and call it good!

dkreichen1968

Staff member
12 channels plus 27 free channels is 39 channels for $20. In Denver metro it would be 50 free channels plus 12 channels (62 channels) for $20. Seems like a great deal to me. ESPN, CNN, TBS, TNN, etc. Would give CNN better ratings than they currently have since they can't compete against FOX News.

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
I just subscribed to it via the 7 day free trial, of course they do require a credit card number but that's normal. One thing I don't like is that if you have it on two separate devices and someones watching on one device and someone else logs into Sling, the person already watching gets knocked off the channel. There's that and international customers can watch on up to three devices at the same time. Just doesn't seem fair. :(

Otherwise, still like it so far.

I just subscribed to it via the 7 day free trial, of course they do require a credit card number but that's normal. One thing I don't like is that if you have it on two separate devices and someones watching on one device and someone else logs into Sling, the person already watching gets knocked off the channel. There's that and international customers can watch on up to three devices at the same time. Just doesn't seem fair. :(

Otherwise, still like it so far.
Nice. Looking forward to subscribing to it soon. How does it rate if someone were looking for a streaming service and only had budget for one. Is it better than Netflix? Or Hulu Plus?

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Nice. Looking forward to subscribing to it soon. How does it rate if someone were looking for a streaming service and only had budget for one. Is it better than Netflix? Or Hulu Plus?
Sort of two different animals IMO. On one hand Sling is actual live streaming cable TV channels. On the other hand you can watch shows up to three days after they aired or you can watch an assortment of movies for an additional fee per movie. Plus for an additional $5.00 per month you can get additional packages of live streaming cable TV programs. All in all I think it's a pretty good deal.

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
I'm probably going to give it a try this weekend. Tim, how much content is available on there comparatively to Netflix?
I just installed it a few hours ago so while my knowledge is still green it looks as if their movie selection numbers in the hundreds. Remember too, each movie will cost $ to watch.

Here's a screen cap of what Slings movie page looks like.

Attachments

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Great deal for those that just need ESPN. But adding channels at five bucks a pop could add up pretty quickly! And of course, no broadcast networks means an antenna or Hulu+. Dish says the AMC Networks deal also includes BBC America, BBC World News, IFC, Sundance TV, and We TV - but not yet, and it doesn't say if they will be in the Core package or an add on.
Here's the list:
Core package ($20/mo):
ESPN, ESPN2, AMC (coming soon), TNT, TBS, Food Network, HGTV, Travel Channel, Adult Swim, Cartoon Network, ABC Family, Disney Channel, CNN, El Rey, Galavision, Maker Network
News and Information Extra ($5/mo):
Bloomberg, HLN, DIY, Cooking Channel
Kids Extra ($5/mo):
Disney Junior, Disney XD, Boomerang, Baby TV, Duck TV
Sports Extra ($5/mo):
ESPN News, ESPN U, SEC ESPN Network, ESPN Buzzer Beater, ESPN Bases Loaded, ESPN Goal Line. Universal Sports, Bein Sports, Univision Deportes

There is also a one week free trial. Someone interested in giving it a test run and posting a review???

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Great deal for those that just need ESPN. But adding channels at five bucks a pop could add up pretty quickly! And of course, no broadcast networks means an antenna or Hulu+. Dish says the AMC Networks deal also includes BBC America, BBC World News, IFC, Sundance TV, and We TV - but not yet, and it doesn't say if they will be in the Core package or an add on.
Here's the list:
Core package ($20/mo):
ESPN, ESPN2, AMC (coming soon), TNT, TBS, Food Network, HGTV, Travel Channel, Adult Swim, Cartoon Network, ABC Family, Disney Channel, CNN, El Rey, Galavision, Maker Network
News and Information Extra ($5/mo):
Bloomberg, HLN, DIY, Cooking Channel
Kids Extra ($5/mo):
Disney Junior, Disney XD, Boomerang, Baby TV, Duck TV
Sports Extra ($5/mo):
ESPN News, ESPN U, SEC ESPN Network, ESPN Buzzer Beater, ESPN Bases Loaded, ESPN Goal Line. Universal Sports, Bein Sports, Univision Deportes

There is also a one week free trial. Someone interested in giving it a test run and posting a review???
Websites are now saying AMC will be part of the $20.00 core deal (Google "SlingTV AMC"). Don't know how they know but that's the word on the internet and what a great way for Sling to promote their product. Walking Dead and such...pretty popular shows on pay TV.