DishNet may drop some local channels !

dkreichen1968

Staff member
It's always smart to have an antenna ,whether as your primary means of reception, or as a backup. You can save by not needing to pay for locals when you have satellite, and you can get stations that are out of your DMA (if your in a border area).

Last edited:

SWHouston

Staff member
DK,

Some very wise words there !
I have Comcast and OTA, and have thought I was blessed SEVERAL times, when
Comcast went out, and I was wondering just how close a couple of those Cat4
Hurricanes were getting ! :flush:
We have some really lousy weather here at times.

But, as you have said, I too have herd of the savings some may realize, by
substituting their Sat local channels, with OTA. Comcast doesn't offer
that, and if someone would come forth, who has opted that, I would be
very glad to hear just how much that reduced their Sat cost.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
I'm not sure what Dish charges, but DirecTV charges $5 a month for locals, and only carries the main channel from full power broadcasters. Therefore you don't get any subchannels, low power broadcasters, or translators. You also only get those few channels from your official DMA. I talked to a lady who I know has DirecTV, who lives in the Colorado Springs DMA and commutes to Denver for work, who was complaining about the fact that Colorado Springs stations don't cover Denver weather. Yet, based on the location of their house they should be able to easily pick up the Denver stations with an antenna. It would be a very small investment to give them the ability to know what was going on north of the Palmer Ridge.

Last edited:

SWHouston

Staff member
DK,

Well, even a a modest $5 month, a payback on an OTA system could be quick. And a years savings would facilitate a very nice OTA system for just about anyone.

I hadn't realized how limited the Local Channel inclusion on the Sat Services was. Not having the sub-channels would really put a dent in my viewing experience. As you know (and this is an average) most can get upward toward 30 channels in most areas, and here in a large Metropolitan Area, it's a LOT more than that.

I just want to mention this, for those who may be reading along...
Including a OTA System in conjunction with a Pay Service like Sat or Cable, in no way interfere with the Service. One changes/selects either via a "source" input on their TV usually, which is no more complicated than switching over to view your DVR, then back.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
I hadn't realized how limited the Local Channel inclusion on the Sat Services was. Not having the sub-channels would really put a dent in my viewing experience. As you know (and this is an average) most can get upward toward 30 channels in most areas, and here in a large Metropolitan Area, it's a LOT more than that.
As far as I know Comcast still charges extra for most subchannels in our area. They do offer the LP broadcasters in their basic and standard packages, but you must subscribe to a higher cost package to get the local subs. Like you mentioned, since most times cable and satellite requires a set top box, people can hook their antenna to the TV's antenna input without it interfering with their pay-TV. The best HD picture and sound for local channels is only available over the air from an OTA antenna.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Don't forget, most cable and satellite providers now charge you for the box that is now required for each TV. 4 sets could cost you $20 a month before you even add programming. So if you drop locals and got rid of the boxes in the kids rooms and guest room and connect them to an antenna, you save big. Do you really need cable in the kids rooms? OTA and a cheapo $20 dvd player in each room would work great.

At $5 for each TV a month, payback time can be as little as 1-3 months with a set of rabbit ears or a home made antenna. If you had to spend $75 - $50 for an antenna, $20 for cable, $5 for a/b switch and/or splitter, it's anywhere from 3 to 15 months. And more choices, plus TV that works when the cable goes out? Priceless.

Last edited:

SWHouston

Staff member
HA Pogi, you got a point there for sure, but...

I think that eliminating Animal Planet, Nick and a few others my G-Kids watch,
would loose me too many hugs. I MUST op for leaving the Boxs in their room ! :D

Chips

DTVUSA Member
I thought you had to get a package with locals now, i.e. you couldn't buy a package without locals?
They don't advertise it, but you can still get Dish without the locals in the package, however you have to get the locals with Directv.. Also if you own all your equipment, you can just subscribe to the locals with Dish.

DanB_DISH

DTVUSA Member
Just to clarify; as of February 1st, 2010 all subscribers with DISH have locals bundled into their packages. The only exception to this is customers who were grandfathered in and did not have locals prior to this date, if they are to make any changes to their programming locals will then be added to their package. Also, we have resumed carriage of the LIN channels, we regret any inconvenience this has caused you folks!