Disposal of medication

U

Unregistered

Just saw blurb on tv that some medication can be disposed of by flushing down the toilet. What's up with that? I thought you weren't supposed to do that?

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
You are not. Unfortunately, there is not a really good way of handling this. We are finally getting official drug/medication turn in days so that they are properly disposed of. It's being done by the sheriff's department. Some pharmacies will take them, but none where I live do. You should not flush them; that simply puts life at risk.

I found some really helpful infomration on the U. S. Food and Drug Administration website regarding disposing of medication properly. Check it out Disposal of Unused Medicines: What You Should Know

Surprisingly the FDA has a list of medications that can be flushed and you can obtain that list on the website listed above. They note it is a very limited list of medications, so be sure to heed their list. There is also information about take-back programs and recommend that you check with your local city or county government agencies to see if programs are available like that in your area. I hope you find this information helpful.

phudson126

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I found out some of the harmful effects of flushing medications. Flushing pills and other forms of medication down the toilet can cause contamination to the aquatic environment because wastewater treatment systems are not designed to remove many of these medications. Non-coastal areas are also at risk if chemicals or medications are flushed down the toilet, since the chemicals can work their way into ground water supply, ultimately contaminating streams, rivers and lakes.

n2rj

Staff member
Wow, you know we are an over medicated society when we are worried that our disposed of medicine is going to harm the environment!!!

I have a headache now, excuse me while I go take my 600mg of ibuprofen.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I'm not really sure I understand your response here. It seems sarcastic, and I don't honestly know why. Is there something wrong in your eyes with caring about the environment?

scandiskwindows9x

Moderator of DTV Latino
The nr2j comment is right now ie you are sad by days by something comes Prozac the toddler act as kid easy medication to keep quiet,a kid is different or shy then comes asperger syndrome without even a right diagnostic or a moody person Bipolar disorder and comes lithium, we now for our everyday life problems we solve them with medications and tablets of different shapes and colors. We in fact trust that medication is a magic thing that does everything to us, and that is wrong the solution to our problems isn't trust in a medication everything

About medication disposal is drugstores that have deposit of drugs that expired or can do a donation to somebody on Facebook and give to somebody the medication that you don't will take anymore.

Man this is my post number 500 will celebrate lol
Sent from my LG-P500h using Tapatalk

n2rj

Staff member
I'm not really sure I understand your response here. It seems sarcastic, and I don't honestly know why. Is there something wrong in your eyes with caring about the environment?
I probably care about the environment more than a lot of people. I went to the recycling center today to drop off my recycling (I go every couple of weeks), I take public transport and reduce my use of energy quite a bit. I also pay quite a bit to properly dispose of medical waste such as sharps (syringes and pens), about $5 per container.

My comment was sarcasm about how much medicine we use, that the quantity we use and dump into the landfill is so much would do some serious environmental harm.

scandiskwindows9x

Moderator of DTV Latino
I am sure many people are concerned by the environment care but we have to be truthfully too here everyone does something about I by example prefer donate the medications that have and doesn't worked to me than dispose them, perhaps that don't worked to me but may be somebody that doesn't have money can need it and if can help would be fine.

Also try to do the car maintenance in the dealer of the car brand to avoid gas and contribute to the Santiago air cleaning, also do my laundry with cold water even in cold and even with though stains as now got in our local supermarket tide cold water formula works good and save has and money also shorten the washing cycle and the motor speed for good results, and also unplug my electric things on,night except the refrigerator for save energy

Also I use the public transport but is so saturated than sometimes I think was the biggest error go by metro and our bus system is the worst and unreliable but not much can be done

Sent from my LG-P500h using Tapatalk

n2rj

Staff member
I had one bottle of indomethacin with a few pills in it. It was expired so I couldn't donate. I ended up taking it in to the recycling center on their medical waste day, and paying a fee to dispose of it. :(

I recycle everything I can. Pretty much only food scraps and diapers (yes, I know, bad for the environment, but we can't keep up with cloth diapers for 3 babies) go into the trash. Used motor oil from everything and antifreeze too.

Electric usage here is pretty low. We use gas for the water heater. Our house is shaded by trees so we don't have to use much central air conditioning. I also have my media center in energy save mode and it goes to sleep when not recording or watching.

At work our building is powered by a hydrogen fuel cell too. We are actually one of the greenest companies in the industry.

Last edited: