Question: Distance

Crona12

DTVUSA Rookie
Have a client who currently has DTV at their existing home. They would like to add their new home to the same dish and have service at both homes. The new home is approximately 300' from the existing dish. Can I run RG11 to the new home (300') and have proper service at both? Thank you.

I'm fairly certain that violates the DTV terms of service, although I could be wrong. However, I'm fairly certain that to go 300 feet with a satellite signal would require some level of amplification, and even then I don't know how well the DTV receiver would be able to recover the signal.

Is it possible? Sure, anything's possible. Are you likely to succeed? I doubt it.

Zephar

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Have a client who currently has DTV at their existing home. They would like to add their new home to the same dish and have service at both homes. The new home is approximately 300' from the existing dish. Can I run RG11 to the new home (300') and have proper service at both? Thank you.
I have never done a directv that long, but have installed dish pro and dish pro + that have been up to 400 feet on rg6. Dish legacy is limited to 125 feet due to fact it older technology needed to pick up odd and even voltage. Where the newer technology stacks the frequencies. So I personally don' see a reason why it would not work with DTV as their very similar in the technology.

If voltage needs to be ran down the line I would run solid copper.

Now here is how to test rather it will work or not without waisting alot of time. Get 300 feet of RG6 and hook it up from the outlet to the current receiver. (you can leave the cable coiled up.) This will add additional cabling. First test by changing it to multiple stations. Have them watch it over night.

Years ago when I had to setup an apartment complex that they wanted 1 dish per building and I had to use the existing wiring which was quad rg6. I thought longest you could go on dish was 125 feet. Found out their newer technology allowed for a lot more, but first tested with a box had 400' left in to see if it was feasible or not.

If you go with rg11 make sure it sweep tested to 3000 mhz . Technically 2300 mhz should be fine, but future technology may go up on that figure.

My gut says rg6 quad shielded (solid copper if your running voltage.) Will work fine. I cannot think of anything taking a quick look in technology that has changed that would keep it from working. As long as its modern equipment were talking about. Because older DTV work just like Dish with the odd and even voltage.