Do I need a converter box?

Teresadtv

DTVUSA Rookie
I have a digital TV and a digital/analog antenna. I only use my VCR when I want to record programs. I don’t need it on to watch TV. Will I need a converter box attached to my VCR in order to continue recording programs?

I think so, seeing as the tuner inside you digital TV has no output for a VCR.

I'd have recommended a digital TV/VCR/DVD Combo if you hadn't already got the TV though.

Aries

DTVUSA Member
I would actually invest in a DVD recorder, or a blu-ray recorder if those have come out. Would be a lot simpler on your end, and you'll be set for a while instead of using technology I've not seen get used in years.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I would actually invest in a DVD recorder, or a blu-ray recorder if those have come out. Would be a lot simpler on your end, and you'll be set for a while instead of using technology I've not seen get used in years.
Or DVR, but the key feature needed with any of those devices are that they contain a ATSC tuner.

sad part is that with the DVR the whole idea of a digital television is entirely moot. the Dish DTVPal DVR is just a converter box with a DVR built in. i don't know if there'd be any point to the Digital TV itself since you'd be using the DVR as a converter and recorder too.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
sad part is that with the DVR the whole idea of a digital television is entirely moot. the Dish DTVPal DVR is just a converter box with a DVR built in. i don't know if there'd be any point to the Digital TV itself since you'd be using the DVR as a converter and recorder too.
The Dish Network DTVPal DVR isn't a converter box, but a digital tuner. The Dish Network DTVPal DVR is capable of both SD and HD output. So if you currently own a SDTV it would work for you. But if you have a HDTV, it is HD and you can enjoy all of the features of your HDTV.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
but doesn't it still make the point of the digital tuner inside the TV moot? the OP has a digital TV.
Oh, I see what you meant. In that sense, yes. I'm not disagreeing with you. I don't know that it makes it moot entirely, because it adds the option to record two different programs while recording a third. Where without the digital TV tuner, he would only be able to watch one program while recording another.

The OP would need a CECB connected to the VCR for recording purposes. But I sure enjoy my DVR and that's what I would recommend.

Eureka

DTVUSA Member
but doesn't it still make the point of the digital tuner inside the TV moot? the OP has a digital TV.
No, not at all. You can use the tuner in the TV for watching TV without having to turn on and use the DVR. Or watch different channels from what the DVR might be recording at any given time.

uceddiec

DTVUSA Jr. Member
How about using a splitter and buying a cheap converter to run to the vcr. Also does your DTV have a audio and video out. MY SDTV has audio out but not video.