Do prison inmates deserve converter boxes?

O-O

DTVUSA Member
A while back, there was a discussion at this foru about homeless people and whether or not they deserve converter boxes. Saw this on the news clips yesterday and thought, why do prison inmates deserve converter boxes before homeless? Prison is supposed to rehibilitate people, not provide comfort and entertainment. What do you guys and girls think?

TAMPA, Fla. -- TV for thousands of Hillsborough County jail inmates went blank Friday, but it wasn't because of bad behavior. Inmates were left in the dark after last week's digital television conversion because the 150 TVs at the Orient Road and Falkenburg Road jails are not wired for cable television.

"They're not real happy about it right now," said Rachel Quarles, detention deputy for the Orient Road Jail.
DTV switch leaves jail inmates with static | WOAI.COM: San Antonio News

Piggie

Super Moderator
County jails in Pasco, Pinellas, and Polk did not report problems with the digital transition because they are hooked up to cable. Inmate fees pay for the service.
Tampa in comparison was saving money? These days in Florida you go to county jail, you pay for room and board. It doesn't pay the costs of the jail by any means, but it's not a free ride anymore.

Those that don't know Florida geography in detail, those counties surround Hillsborough country, which is Tampa, FL.

They would not need a converter box for every TV as I am sure they have a master antenna system. That requires CECB for each channel and a modulator for each channel. Tampa could charge the inmates under Florida law.

We have become a very mean and cruel society in my opinion. Note those on the hard right, this does equate to being soft!

It is being proven and has been proven prison breeds more crime. They have found the more harsh the conditions the more crime is committed on release. This doesn't mean make it a country club but contact with the outside world makes a transition better.

To me the answer is simple, charge the prisoners:ballchain:

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Tampa in comparison was saving money? These days in Florida you go to county jail, you pay for room and board. It doesn't pay the costs of the jail by any means, but it's not a free ride anymore.

Those that don't know Florida geography in detail, those counties surround Hillsborough country, which is Tampa, FL.

They would not need a converter box for every TV as I am sure they have a master antenna system. That requires CECB for each channel and a modulator for each channel. Tampa could charge the inmates under Florida law.

We have become a very mean and cruel society in my opinion. Note those on the hard right, this does equate to being soft!

It is being proven and has been proven prison breeds more crime. They have found the more harsh the conditions the more crime is committed on release. This doesn't mean make it a country club but contact with the outside world makes a transition better.

To me the answer is simple, charge the prisoners:ballchain:
Mean and cruel society? Nah. I think we've become a little to easy. Most prisoners end back up in jail because that's their way of life. I definitely have a harsher outlook on crime and punishment, but overall I like your point about making prisoners pay for the converter boxes.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
A while back, there was a discussion at this foru about homeless people and whether or not they deserve converter boxes. Saw this on the news clips yesterday and thought, why do prison inmates deserve converter boxes before homeless? Prison is supposed to rehibilitate people, not provide comfort and entertainment. What do you guys and girls think?

DTV switch leaves jail inmates with static | WOAI.COM: San Antonio News
I think it would be a great project for the Boy Scouts of America across the USA. The scouts need to do a community project to become Eagle Scouts. They could do a fund raiser and purchase CECBs for the inmates in the local prisons. The inmates could see what is right with society and the scouts could see what happens when people make poor decisions. It would be a learning experience for all.:usa2:

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Television for prisoners is not generally considered to be for the "comfort and entertainment" of prisoners, but instead contributes toward the interest of efficiently and safely keeping prisoners under control.

divxhacker

DTVUSA Member
I don't think they'll have converter boxes for THIS prison, just lots of videotapes of Elmo's World, Boobah and Teletubbies.

Very few repeat offenders going in that particular one.

Last edited:
Television for prisoners is not generally considered to be for the "comfort and entertainment" of prisoners, but instead contributes toward the interest of efficiently and safely keeping prisoners under control.
Really how does that work? By boring them with reality TV? By giving them Jon & Kate and the Animal Channel? Sorry not seeing where this helps at all.

Aries

DTVUSA Member
"I sentence you to 15 years of reality television!"
"Your Honor! I believe the Constitution prohibits cruel and unusual punishment!"
"Point taken, I hereby declare reality TV to be within the Constitution!"

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
I don't think they'll have converter boxes for THIS prison, just lots of videotapes of Elmo's World, Boobah and Teletubbies.

Very few repeat offenders going in that particular one.
Punishment by means of prison is ok by me. Punishment by means of humiliation is just wrong.

Really how does that work? By boring them with reality TV? By giving them Jon & Kate and the Animal Channel? Sorry not seeing where this helps at all.
I think you may have missed the point on Bicker's post.

There are a lot of things that I, myself, haven't spent the time coming to understand. You shouldn't feel too bad about your lack of understanding.
Ouch.

"I sentence you to 15 years of reality television!"
"Your Honor! I believe the Constitution prohibits cruel and unusual punishment!"
"Point taken, I hereby declare reality TV to be within the Constitution!"
15 years of reality television would be harsh; 15 years of "Flavor of Love" would put the sentence into cruel and unusual punishment category. ;)

Piggie

Super Moderator
Mean and cruel society? Nah. I think we've become a little to easy. Most prisoners end back up in jail because that's their way of life. I definitely have a harsher outlook on crime and punishment, but overall I like your point about making prisoners pay for the converter boxes.
I think we are talking schematics maybe. I agree we are too soft in many areas. But I believe our criminal justice system has become so unforgiving, absolute, with little gray area we are no longer serving it's purpose. But after all it is an opinion.

There are a lot of things that I, myself, haven't spent the time coming to understand. You shouldn't feel too bad about your lack of understanding.
Ouch is right, though well worded it's still personal, something that never adds to a discussion.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Sorry: My reply was snark for snark, I felt.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood Mockingbird's intent in writing the sarcastic reply s/he wrote.

Last edited:

Piggie

Super Moderator
Sorry: My reply was snark for snark, I felt.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood Mockingbird's intent in writing the sarcastic reply s/he wrote.
It's cool. Opinions are good. You and I both love our opinions and I love discussions. While opinions are what make a great forum, country, etc, as without them we follow like blind sheep. They are just our opinions.