Do wireless speakers actually work?

JeepJeep

DTVUSA Member
Anyone have any experience with wireless speakers for their home theater? How well do they work? I wouldn't mind decluttering my living room a bit but I don't want a huge drop in sound quality.

Jim1348

DTVUSA Member
In answer to the question in the title, yes they do work, but in the body of the message you ask how well. I have a pair in my barn that I bought cheap on Ebay, so a quantum difference from your intended application. Mine don't work great, but good enough out in my barn. I have tried better ones, but honestly I think wireless speakers are a compromise. Since your intended purpose is for appearance only, my recommendation is to avoid them. If you really have to try them, try to get them locally from a place with a very liberal return policy. You very well may find that the higher end ones will work okay for you, but I think wired speakers are better, if you can go with wired speakers, do it.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Anyone have any experience with wireless speakers for their home theater? How well do they work? I wouldn't mind decluttering my living room a bit but I don't want a huge drop in sound quality.
That's what I've heard: Yes they work... but only "good enough [to use out in a] barn"... :)
I've seen a bunch of mixed reviews at Amazon.com over the past few months. I am kind of considering them too. Some of the higher priced wireless surround speakers ($500+) seem to perform better but not without complaint. The stated distances by manufactures were a big part of the issue.

What I'm planning to do is go and test them out at Best Buy first. I'm only looking to have about 15'-20' of distance between my receiver and speakers which shouldn't be asking for a lot.