Do you donate to PBS?

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
When ever I watch PBS, they always announce their supporters and advertisers. I'm not sure about the specifics of how much they receive from people, but I'm sure it helps them provide programming for free to all of us.

Have you ever donated to PBS?

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Wow. I was doing some searching on the net and found this thread: Do you not donate to PBS/NPR? If you don't, then you do. - Democratic Underground

The regulatory climate is welfare for Clear Channel and the other media monopolies. The federal coffer is welfare for NPR and PBS. Be willing to give up your fond memories of these clowns. They're a joke and they won't do anything for us or the country...except feed at the trough of government handouts. F'em, they make me sick. No money for those bad boys.

Corporate America controls the media and we get manufactured news.
Corporate America now controls the voting machines and we get manufactured elections.
Is it uncool to support PBS and NPR now?

Is that a rhetorical question? i always saw PBS and KET as Government Funded channels

I only saw one time where for an entire week they took all of their E/I programming off and had run a telethon. i always hated telethons more than sports when they pre-empt the good shows. they seem to never pre-empt reality tv or sports.

I thought it laughable how they got the kids involved, as they'd be tuning into the normal E/I programming and you'd hear 'now kids, go tell your parents or a grown up to come watch because this message is intended for them...'

hahahahaha!

And even worse, there'd be a video in the background where the normal programming was still continuing but without the audio, while the 'thon was in the foreground

Last edited:

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
I want to donate to PBS so badly, as I watch lots of it. I just cannot justify sending money to WBRA as long as their digital signal continues to occupy channel 3.

- Trip

O-O

DTVUSA Member
Is that a rhetorical question? i always saw PBS and KET as Government Funded channels

I only saw one time where for an entire week they took all of their E/I programming off and had run a telethon. i always hated telethons more than sports when they pre-empt the good shows. they seem to never pre-empt reality tv or sports.

I thought it laughable how they got the kids involved, as they'd be tuning into the normal E/I programming and you'd hear 'now kids, go tell your parents or a grown up to come watch because this message is intended for them...'

hahahahaha!

And even worse, there'd be a video in the background where the normal programming was still continuing but without the audio, while the 'thon was in the foreground
Laughable? A lot of the PBS stations are laying off staff. Yes they are partially Government funded, but they also depend on other sources for funding including donations and endowments.

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
I do watch a lot of PBS, really I listen to NPR much more than watch PBS, but I enjoy them both. However they skew politically Left so....I wont be donating anymore money than they already get from me in tax monies.

And for the record, I find their "Put us in your will" solicitations extraordinarily creepy.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Laughable? A lot of the PBS stations are laying off staff. Yes they are partially Government funded, but they also depend on other sources for funding including donations and endowments.
Yeap, Orlando WMFE, asked to shut down CH24 analog early in April of 2009 to save money. At the same time the started turning off their Ch23 digital signal between 1 am and 6 am to save money. Orlando is a top 20 market.

I know people that work for WUFT-TV and WURT-FM and for the first time in 30 some years they are worried about being laid off.

E/I programming is shown on more than PBS and I believe it counts toward x number of hours all stations must show kids programming. Trip knows details like that well.

I send money to PBS. I never "buy" the minimum for X gift. I send them what I can. Also if there is a concert I like that is done by one of their series, I buy it directly from PBS normally even though it's typically $10 more than Amazon as they use that mark up to fund the shows I like.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I send money to PBS. I never "buy" the minimum for X gift. I send them what I can. Also if there is a concert I like that is done by one of their series, I buy it directly from PBS normally even though it's typically $10 more than Amazon as they use that mark up to fund the shows I like.
I've often wondered just how much money out of your purchase goes to the station when for those concert DVDs and other things directly through PBS. You would think 100% of the additional cost would go towards PBS but I've never seen any factual evidence or breakdowns online. They should share that info; would probably help them sell more.

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I've always meant to, but then they'll air a silly man made global warming program or I'll catch a glimpse of Jim Lehrer News. I watch enough PBS programming, I really should send them a buck or two, besides the money coming out of my bi-weekly paychecks.

I meant it was funny how they recruited kids to get their parents to look at the telethon and hope they pay, along with doing it during E/I time vs when adults normally tune in

i always thought of News Hour as boring as it gets. but that's probably because it's so political that it goes so far above my head it leaves contrails

I do like The American Experience and Nova though

Piggie

Super Moderator
I meant it was funny how they recruited kids to get their parents to look at the telethon and hope they pay, along with doing it during E/I time vs when adults normally tune in
Ah! Ok, I misunderstood you point! Right now most PBS stations are more desperate then normal, near survival in some cases, so not surprising and I give them the slack. I tune here to a sub channel without the telethon.

Piggie

Super Moderator
I've often wondered just how much money out of your purchase goes to the station when for those concert DVDs and other things directly through PBS. You would think 100% of the additional cost would go towards PBS but I've never seen any factual evidence or breakdowns online. They should share that info; would probably help them sell more.
I always figured the extra money went to national PBS. But actually now you break it down, no I don't know where that money goes.

Break downs of where money goes do make donors in general more happy.

--------------

Answering EV, I too get creepy hearing them ask me to put them in my will. Not sure exactly why as I like PBS, but the request seems over the top.

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
i always thought of News Hour as boring as it gets. but that's probably because it's so political that it goes so far above my head it leaves contrails
As my roommate in college told his girlfriend when she complained he was watching it, "the news isn't supposed to be entertaining, it's supposed to be informative." (I got him into watching it.)

I watch the News Hour every chance I get, though now that they've introduced that dumb "lead story" nonsense, I haven't watched as much. I used to watch the opening news summary every day and then decide if I wanted to watch any of the segments. If I did, I'd mute and do other things 'til they came on.

- Trip