Do you have to use a HDTV with a PS3?

Edward

DTVUSA Rookie
My son wants a PS3 for Christmas but the TV in his room is an older tube TV so what I would like to know is if you can use a PS3 with an older TV?

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
:welcome:

No. If your son's CRT TV has input connectors for 1) composite video and audio, 2) S-video, and/or 3) component AV, then it can accept a PS3's output. You need only one of the three types of input jacks. Alternatives 2 and 3 deliver better video and sound quality than the composite cables do.

You might be interested in the "Connect to a TV" pop-open section on this page, which contains diagrams showing how the console is connected to all kinds of TVs. (Your TV is a "480i" with a 4:3 aspect ratio.)

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
Don has this one pretty well covered.

Only thing I'd add is that you may want to check around on some advertisements by big electronics stores. I've seen a few deals that include a LCD HDTV, PS3, and one or two games under $600.00

Last edited:

Edward

DTVUSA Rookie
Thanks for the link Don. Looks like we've got the connections on the back of his TV so he may get a PS3 afterall. A new TV is out of the question this year as the PS3 will be the "big" present for my son. ;)