Evaluation: Do you know you're getting our junk?

As a British ex-pat I have to point out that a lot of TV you're being sold as brand new is in fact stuff from British TV that's been obsolete for years. ABC's Sing Your Face Off is a re-boot of an old Karaoke show called Stars in Your Eyes and Ladies of London makes out that Caprice is still a celebrity in Britain, which she hasn't been for years. I don't want TV producers to pull the wool over your eyes. Demand newer and better formats!

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Watch international TV and you'll see numerous series reincarnated in a different language. From Korean and Mexican soap Operas dubbed in different languages or recast, to a Filipino version of "The Voice" (Apl.De.Ap is a coach)
[video=youtube_share;dJIHi4XxicA]http://youtu.be/dJIHi4XxicA[/video]

Worth noting that "All in the Family" was based on "Till Death Us Do Part" and "Sanford and Son" was adapted from another Brit series, Steptoe and Son.

bunny22

DTVUSA Member
The same could be said for other countries/shows. The Only Way Is Essex is a UK rip off of Jersey Shore. There's a Spanish language version of Gossip Girl. I could probably come up with some other examples if I cared to.

Just because something is done already doesn't automatically mean it's bad or not entertaining. And just because something is on American TV doesn't mean all Americans are duped into thinking it's "new".

Ok, my tone's been misread here. I'm not suggesting Americans are being 'duped' for any other reason that these are really dated formats that even an incredibly anachronistic TV culture like Britain's regarded as old hat, and have no knowledge of how backward they are. I know formats are internationally fluid, and that Britain steals a hell of a lot from other countries. My point was that US TV deserves better than this! Apologies if my phrasing caused offence.

bunny22

DTVUSA Member
Ok, my tone's been misread here. I'm not suggesting Americans are being 'duped' for any other reason that these are really dated formats that even an incredibly anachronistic TV culture like Britain's regarded as old hat, and have no knowledge of how backward they are. I know formats are internationally fluid, and that Britain steals a hell of a lot from other countries. My point was that US TV deserves better than this! Apologies if my phrasing caused offence.
I'm not offended, but I don't happen to agree. By that logic, one could say that drama is a "backward" or "obsolete" format because Shakespeare wrote tragedies. Even if they are copies, I would argue that the execution is more important.

And it's not as if these shows you mention are even that successful / a trend. They are two shows out of the hundreds that are on right now. You want to debate your opinion on a particular show, fine. But if you make a generalization like Americans are being duped, you can't be surprised when people argue. lol.