Do you like to watch the News?

News programs have always been very popular, due to the fact that they help keep you up to date with the latest news, although sometimes it seems like news shows get padded out with filler stories, on nights when there isn't enough "real" news.

So do you watch the news most nights, or only when you have a reason to?

Jim1348

DTVUSA Member
I like to get my local news broadcast. I am probably kind of unusual in that I have a Samsung LN-T1953H that has PIP (Picture In Picture) that I use as a computer monitor. I surf the web and often have the PIP in the upper right corner watching something.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
We watch MHZ World (OTA) these days and we are not interested in the pablum the US (National) Networks offer. Having listened to Shortwave Radio since I was a child, the variety MHZ offers works very well for me/us ... and now we receive no HF dropouts.

One exception is local FOX morning News which oddly, covers our region far better than the 3 main 'network' attempts. They report news (what happened or IS happening) unlike the others.

We could not care less about "The first snowflake of the year" being seen and filmed by a reporter parked in the Mountain Passes or the recommendations to "Have your kids wear long underwear today".

Are there that many stupid parents out there who can't figure that out for themselves and for their own kids?

Jim

Last edited:

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
We could not care less about "The first snowflake of the year" being seen and filmed by a reporter parked in the Mountain Passes or the recommendations to "Have your kids wear long underwear today".
... or about the latest "news" concerning Tiger Woods, Michael Jackson, Brangelina, Sandra Bullock, Justin Timberlake, Oprah, Josh Duhamel, Beyonce, the latest American Idol finalists... you get the idea. Shows like ET, Inside Edition, TMZ, Access Hollywood and the like were tailor-made for those seeking celebrity gossip. It has no place on the local news. The perennial ratings leader in this market is chock full of it morning, noon and night, while the also-rans shy away.

Can you tell I watch the also-rans exclusively? :becky:

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I've never been much of a news watcher. I turn it on a few times a week for local news, but if nothing is of interest, I turn it off. It's all online anyway.

I only really watch News programs on occasion these days, and get most of the rest of my news through various online sources. This makes it easier for me to ignore the news I couldn't care less about, while keeping up with all the latest news that IS relevant to my interests.

leighdu

DTVUSA Member
I usually see the headlines online, but no I don't too much watch the news anymore. because as someone has already mentioned, the news seems to consistently be about celebrities and their drama. I have enough of that kind of news in my own life, and am not really interested in Lindsay Lohain's next drug bust.

dave73

DTVUSA Member
I only watch the local news & for the 9pm news from Chicago, I'll watch WGN-TV News at 9. For the 10pm news, I like watching ABC 7 news on WLS-TV. I don't like the local news from CBS station WBBM-TV (their news is a joke & for years, they blamed their signal, but can't use that as an excuse now), NBC's WMAQ (they've changed news anchors too much that nothing stays steady there), & Fox's WFLD (boring). Don't have cable, so I don't watch cable network news.

Last edited:
I watch the local news daily, in the winter more then once a day for the weather when it is bad out. Even though I check headlines online I feel like something is missing if I miss the local news. I do not get a local paper.