Do you own a CRT still?

wowdoo

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Since the LCD and Plasma TVs have been so popular lately, how many CRT TVs do you still own? If any? I still have 4 in my house, in addition to 2 LCD TVs in my bedroom and living room.

vibetv

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Right now, I know that I don't have any in my house. I really got sick of those energy hogs taking up so much space all over. I have converted everything to LCD, and no Plasmas now! I love it!

aeagle

DTVUSA Jr. Member
In my house, there are no CRT TVs at all! I finished off the new purchases about a month ago, and I will never look back. I know I don't have that many TVs, but I am glad that they are all LCD now.

vibetv

DTVUSA Jr. Member
In my house, there are no CRT TVs at all! I finished off the new purchases about a month ago, and I will never look back. I know I don't have that many TVs, but I am glad that they are all LCD now.
Don't forget about all the energy that they take up while you are using them. That is the main reason that I changed my computer monitors to flat panels. They take so much less energy.

aeagle

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Don't forget about all the energy that they take up while you are using them. That is the main reason that I changed my computer monitors to flat panels. They take so much less energy.
I never really thought about it that way. There must be so much energy drawn through the local high school that I work at. The entire computer lab has CRT screens, and they are always on.

Actually that's a myth. the LCDs are more power hungry than a CRT. the difference is that a CRT wastes a lot in the form of heat from the back of the television set. but a LCD has not only a high-voltage fluorescent backlight, but it also still uses a few kilovolts to power the flat panel as well.

Besides, i use only CRT because even the LCDs today have terrible black levels, they glare badly, and SD-reception is horrific. i'll wait until i have the money and every channel is in HD. and when they fix the viewing angles (Still need to be right in front of them for a clear picture) and the black levels are more up to snuff. and not have a 25" (same as my console) cost triple the price.

Todd2

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Actually that's a myth. the LCDs are more power hungry than a CRT. the difference is that a CRT wastes a lot in the form of heat from the back of the television set. but a LCD has not only a high-voltage fluorescent backlight, but it also still uses a few kilovolts to power the flat panel as well.

Besides, i use only CRT because even the LCDs today have terrible black levels, they glare badly, and SD-reception is horrific. i'll wait until i have the money and every channel is in HD. and when they fix the viewing angles (Still need to be right in front of them for a clear picture) and the black levels are more up to snuff. and not have a 25" (same as my console) cost triple the price.
I can vouch for this because our 32" Magnavox heats up our family room during the Spring time when we don't use air conditioning. Backlighting has gotten better over the past 5 years for LCDs, and if you're worried about viewing angles, go with a Plasma. They're coming down in price.

Plasma is triple what an LCD costs, and is prone to 'burn-in'.

I really don't want a wall-TV. i like my old Consoles. that's because i'm old-fashioned and don't care for anything bigger than a 25", which is still wayy big to me. plus CRTs are being tossed and that means, well, FREE TV! some of them are very nice ones, too, with S-video and surround sound.

The other power leech on LCD and Plasma, is that 'standby light' on the front of them, you turn them OFF, but you're really putting them on standby. that standby uses more power than turning OFF a CRT. you are better off pulling the plug.

That and LCD and plasmas take forever to 'boot up.' the time from being turned on, and then seeing the 'OLEVIA' or other manufacturer logo is too long. sometimes i wonder if the darned thing is going to turn on or if i hit the remote button hard enough, then i turn it back off in the process. give me the old relay clunk and instant picture anyday.

My Magnavox TV still works, plus it's never seen a TV repair shop (yet) and the sound is better than any HDTV has built-in. if you're buying a HD set better off you buy a surround sound system, too, their built-in surround amp and tiny speakers suck on bass. that's a vital component to movies, tons of thunder. without that you've got nothing.

jerseygirl

DTVUSA Member
Right now my Sony CRT TV is still working without any trouble. So why to replace a working system?

No need in - if there will be, then an LCD will take the place of it.

I like CRT better. first it's cheaper, second they last longer, and third, the black and color levels are spot-on. LCD is bad about glare, and any angle is distorted unless you're sitting right behind it, the sound systems on LCDs still cannot hold a candle to the bass-output of a 1960s Multiplex, and bass is a big thing to have if you want Surround, plus LCDs won't sit on the floor and require not only a good wall-mount (that is, no mobile homes folks) plus they cost too much still. heck i'm looking for an original TouchTune Magnavox from 1977-78 since those TVs still have the nicest sound and the on screen display is still the most amazing thing ever. (Channel numbers literally fly away!)

I still have mine. Two of them. One is in the family room and the other is in my bedroom. A few months ago I started looking at big screens and my 12 year old asked me why? He didn't see any point in spending the money since both televisions were still good.

jerseygirl

DTVUSA Member
I agree with DTVuser2000 right now these LCDs are a bit to expensive. But I did not see any CRT more at the stores here. Only LCD to buy here.

So sooner or later we have to switch to these LCDs.

I get my TVs either for free (from a dump, people are sadly throwing away working sets!) or from thrift stores. thrift stores are where i'm still looking for the elusive TouchTune. you won't find ANY LCD that will cost less than $299 plus you won't see the panel in an LCD EVER live as long as a CRT. if i'm paying that much for a new TV, i expect it to last at least 20 or so years. not three and then have the backlight go out.

I also won't pay more for lousy surround sound with zero bass and i won't pay more for lousy black levels. also as i stated many times before, 25" is fine with me. i don't need over 40 inches of set. i also don't have the space for it.

I have my old CRT still in the store room. It is still working but I had lost the passion for using it and I also have an early model of CRT used by my parents there. I guess I would use it as a museum for my children.

Like DTVuser2009, I'm not crazy about spending all that money on a big screen tv only to have a lousy set of cheap speakers attached to it. You'd think for the money spent, the manufacturers would include some better speakers.

Postman

DTVUSA Member
I am the owner of one crt TV but I am not ashamed of it since it is still working. I’m a practical person that I don’t go on buying new if the appliance is still working.

i'm the same way. and when/if it breaks i attempt to fix it before throwing it out. there's already too much garbage in landfills to have me contribute to pollution. i even find sets thrown out and 'recycle' them for use in my home. :D

Unfortunately, i'm tagged as a 'luddite' due to my desire to wait before an upgrade. apparently i'm against modern life for just choosing when i see fit to upgrade vs. upgrading when i don't need the extras. oh well.